• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Hood release pictures needed

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
My hood release interfering with surrounding interior upholstery panel.

It's hard to use and doesn't seem correct. The carpet board is pretty thick.

Would like pictures of a correct setup. Thank you in advance.

screenshot.2376.jpg

screenshot.2375.jpg

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Mine pretty much looks the same as yours. The release handle moves very little.... I have not had a problem using the release as it is shown. Most of the time I reach under the passenger side and use the emergency release to open the hood (bonnet for you guys east of me :smile:)
IMG_4623 2.jpg
IMG_4624 2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4623.jpg
    IMG_4623.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_4624.jpg
    IMG_4624.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 107
OP
steveg

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Elliot,
Thank you for the fast service!

I just last week installed the Moss emergency release rod and it works a treat!

Regular hood release handle placement looks like a cr*ppy design.

Maybe I'll bend the tab to angle the handle outward and do like you and place the upholstery panel over the cable, rather than under it as it is now.

Last edited:

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Best move you ever did. I never use the factory release cable any more. Stupid design. They should have had it on the passenger side under the glove box like on the Mini my daughter once had.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Best move you ever did. I never use the factory release cable any more. Stupid design. They should have had it on the passenger side under the glove box like on the Mini my daughter once had.
I think they may be on the right hand side on the home market cars....I don't recall seeing these complaints on the TRR Forum

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I think they may be on the right hand side on the home market cars....I don't recall seeing these complaints on the TRR Forum
:iagree:

Dr.T

Freshman Member
Country flag
The hood release handle should be oriented "portrait" instead of "landscape", that way it won't interfere with the kick panel as much.
IMG_0126.jpg

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
What Dr. T said, the emergency release is nice as well. When I first redid my car the regular cable was so tight I could barely open it, and was always worried it might break. After time, use, adjustment and lube it is better now, but unless you have gorilla arms you have to get on the passenger side to do the safety catch, so having the release over there makes sense.

Greg

OP
steveg

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The hood release handle should be oriented "portrait" instead of "landscape", that way it won't interfere with the kick panel as much.
View attachment 64998

The handle is at this angle because it's built-in. The handle ferrule has a flat side matching a "D"-shaped hole in the welded-on mounting tab which is part of the body structure. The handle itself has an index groove which matches the inside of the ferrule. Hence Elliot's and mine being at the same angle. This could be changed but one would have to bore out the mounting hole to allow the ferrule to be rotated. That would necessitate removal of the cable from the car.

If I do that, I'll make an extension for the mount which would orient the handle landscape as well as moving it inward, further away from the carpet panel.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You beat me to it Steve.... As you say, there is an indexing flat on the ferrule and a matching flat side on the cable mount in the car.
I guess you could orient it differently but for me, the current orientation does not seem to be a problem.

Dr.T

Freshman Member
Country flag
Is your cable a reproduction part? I suspect is and it is probably the only part available and doesn’t exactly match the original factory part. The picture I posted is of a factory original set up. I’m nervous about continuing to use it and will be installing an emergency release cable ASAP

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Is your cable a reproduction part? I suspect is and it is probably the only part available and doesn’t exactly match the original factory part. The picture I posted is of a factory original set up. I’m nervous about continuing to use it and will be installing an emergency release cable ASAP
Definitely get the emergency release installed.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Definitely get the emergency release installed.

OP
steveg

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag

Dr T - You're right, I'm sure it's a repro installed by the PO. It looks pretty new.

I like Moss' newer rod-style emergency release which looks to be foolproof, rather than the older cable design. They sell both.

I tweaked it a little: rather than drilling the holes for the main screw and stop screw, I tapped them, inserting the screws to the desired depth with locknuts on the back. The Moss-supplied spacer makes the action pretty sloppy, so I bored out a thin SS washer to take up the slack on the excess length of the spacer.

screenshot.2381.jpg

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have heard and seen all the above. My question is why have it at all??? Mine was hard to use and kits and such were new when I restored my car 25 plus years ago. I took it all out cable, lock base, and hood rod all gone, and with a light press on the front of the hood the back opens enough to grab the hood and lift. At 90 plus hood does not lift as some said it might. Most people do not know TR's so could not open it any way. And as stated bad design to start with. Madflyer

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Not so sure it's bad design... it was designed for a right-hand drive car. The cable design works fine if installed on the right side.

OP
steveg

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Not so sure it's bad design... it was designed for a right-hand drive car. The cable design works fine if installed on the right side.

All they would have had to do is move the flat spot in the mount opening such that the handle was horizontal.

Is it possible that the TR6 is mainly a left-hand drive car with a smaller number made in RHD? Don't have access to the production figures. Something like 3/4 of Healeys were sent to the US.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I have heard and seen all the above. My question is why have it at all??? Mine was hard to use and kits and such were new when I restored my car 25 plus years ago. I took it all out cable, lock base, and hood rod all gone, and with a light press on the front of the hood the back opens enough to grab the hood and lift. At 90 plus hood does not lift as some said it might. Most people do not know TR's so could not open it any way. And as stated bad design to start with. Madflyer

I ASSUME, i.e. I really have no clue, but the hood latch may be needed for safety reasons. To pass crash testing, etc. Again, just a swag (scientific wild ... guess) on my part.

Dr.T

Freshman Member
Country flag
I don’t know the exact figures, but I’d say close to 90% of TR6’s were LHD, for the North American market and other LHD European markets such as France and Germany. Who else uses RHD but Britain, Japan and a few Caribbean countries?