• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hint on how to mount air hose

BN6_2197

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Gents,

I have difficulties to mount the air hose connecting the air inake to the fan of my BN6. It seems just a little bit too small from diameter point of view to slip over the air intake in the front of my car. Any hints on mounting?

According to the details of my supplier (Limora in Germany) the diameter is 102mm which is approximately 4''.

Volker

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Volker,

As I understand, the air duct for the Cold Air (on the carburetor side of the engine) has a 4" diameter but the duct connected to the heater/defroster fan (on the distributor side of the engine) is only 3" in diameter. These ducts are often difficult to fit and have often provoked loud unnatural yelling. Although many have been successful spraying the receivers and duct ends with silicone or even greased the receiver to help fit, I have found, though ridiculous, it was easier to remove the appropriate wing (fender) to gain sufficient access to appropriately install these ducts.

Before following my approach, I would wait as I expect others have a more reasonable approach.

All the best,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
I remember that it was very difficult. I believe I stretched the hose as much as possible and used a rotating motion while trying to push it on. I did it after most of the engine bay was assembled and thought 'boy this would have been easier if I had done it earlier, like maybe before the fenders were installed. But I get it without taking anything else apart. Try to get the bottom edge on first then rotate.

British_Recovery

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
The 4" duct from the front of the car to the heater blower slips into the forward opening behind the grill. Attaching it to the blower can be made easier, if you are not looking for total originality, by using a rubber sleeve. The plumbing department has a wide variety. The same type of sleeve can be used for the 3 1/4" duct from the blower into the car, but the common size is 3". The RV department has a lot of ducting for waste lines that can be substituted. Spectre Products makes a good substitute for the ducts, especially for the fresh air duct. The ducts can be compressed into a short length for installation, and then expanded, accordion-style as needed. Two can be combined by threading the spiral duct into the rubber sleeves that are available.
Bob

OP
BN6_2197

BN6_2197

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Gents, with your help I easily managed to connect the air hose to the air intake ar the front of my car. Unfortunately I have difficulties to connect it to the heater. Can anybody of you post a picture that shows me how to bend the air hose in a way that it can be mounted to the fan? Note that my car is fully build. I had to replace the air hose since it was defect.

Volker

Jack T

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I also loosened the fan from the wheel arch to install the hose. I could not get the correct angle otherwise. Ironically, mine was installed before putting the fender on, but to get access to the bolts for the fender I had to remove it and reinstall it.

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I had the same issue as Jack T but rather than just loosening the fan mounting bolts, I removed them. Much easier to get the hose on.

OP
BN6_2197

BN6_2197

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thought about removing the mounting bolts, too. But feared that I am not able to attach the mounting bolts after intalling the hose since I cannot reach them anymore. Any hint on that?

D

Duane_Rhynard

IIRC, the nuts you want to loosen are located on the fenderwell, behind the right front tire. They could be covered with paint or undercoating. Make sure to treat with rust penetrant first, you don't want to snap off the studs.

+1 on the penetrant, you are most likely to damage the clips first. The clips are attached to the blower bracket as shown below:

Good luck!

Bolts in right fenderwell
bolts1.jpg

Blower view
bolts2.jpg