• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hillman

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I used to have a Hillman Minx and am thinking of getting another (don't ask). Any comments on availability of parts? I don't expect there's much. Thanks in advance. Tom

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Tom, I think that you can still get what you might need from the UK. Shipping can be a bear. There are enough of them around still to allow you to pick up a spares car or two......

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Steve said:
Tom, There are enough of them around still to allow you to pick up a spares car or two......
Jeez, I've already done that with the Tr3. I'll really be pushing the limits with Mrs. M. Thanks for the reply, Steve. Tom

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
TomMull said:
I used to have a Hillman Minx and am thinking of getting another (don't ask). Any comments on availability of parts? I don't expect there's much. Thanks in advance. Tom

There is an active group of Hillman owners here in North America, just look for Brit Car Talk in Yahoogroups, and a guy on the list by the name Jan Eyerman, he can likely point you in the right direction... https://groups.yahoo.com/group/BritCarTalk/

And yes, there is an active following for British saloon cars here, particularly in Canada...

EricG

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hillman spares are not that hard to find here in the USA using eBay and club support. Many mechanical parts for Hillmans are sourced from the Sunbeam Alpine and vice versa. I have one of each and it is fun to see what is common to both. Jan is a good source of info as is the Hillman email list. Join Tigers East/Alpines East as many members own Hillmans. I have a very active Sunbeam friend with many parts who lives in NH as well I can connect you with. Good luck! Eric

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I live near a Hillman guru. You can reach him via his e-mail at:

pdbragg@charm.net

(you'll have to manually re-type this, since the "at" sign does not show up properly here.

Or you can see his website ~HERE~

I usually run into him and his Minx at our local cruise night in the Summer months (I bring my MGB...we're usually the only Brit cars in attendance).

I owned a '51 Minx (with the old flathead four) over 40 years ago. And I've owned a Plymouth Cricket (based on the Sunbeam or Hillman Avenger). Rootes sold the tooling for the Avenger to Iran many years ago. They renamed it the Paykan. For many years, the Paykan was the most popular car in Iran.

Don't forget that there are a number of rear-engined Sunbeams and Hillmans too. These are the "Imps". Neat cars.....sort of a rear engined Mini.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I have a real soft spot for them - here's one (big project though)
ebay minx

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Steve said:
Wasn't that the Hillman Hunter that went to Iran??

I think basically the same car as the Sunbeam. At some point, the Iranians re-powered it with a locally built engine. All the tooling was re-sold to some African country several years ago (I forget which county).....they may still be building a version of these cars!

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
The Hunter (Rootes Arrow range) was a bigger car than the Avenger, and very different. Both were built in Iran for a while. The Peykan was based on the Hunter, I think.