• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hillman Imp converted to Van

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
Here's an interesting one

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2192&item=2478905105&rd=1

8d_1_b.JPG

fe_1.JPG

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Actually the factory made those as vans for about three years, but they are rarely seen over here. I'm told there are one or two very rotten Imp vans on Canadian side of Niagara Falls.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
James beat me to it......this was made by the factory. I remember seeing these around, although the Mini van was far more popular. They never had those snazzy wheels as standard though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Thats pretty cool. I'd drive it.

sunbeammadd

Jedi Hopeful
Yep, they were available as a passenger version called the Hillman Husky (reviving a name previously used on a Minx-based model) and a commercial version originally called Commer Imp Van. Towards the end of production the Commer name was dropped and it was just Hillman Imp Van.

One of the big problems these days is the tailgates which rot out and are impossible to find. If this has happened then a fibreglass replacement seems to be the only option.

I'd love one but they're like hens teeth in Australia.

One of these features in the film Fahrenheit 451 (based on the Ray Bradbury novel - nothing to do with Michael Moore!!)

Graham

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I think you could find a bucket full of hens teeth before you found one of those in Oz (west Oz anyway). I used to work on imps when they were new, and I never saw or heard of any thing like those. Its rather nice though, so if they had been selling them here (Perth) I recon you would have seen them about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Aeronca65T said: Hmmm...wonder what the "liftover height" over the (rear) engine is? Looks well-done anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

These weren't the only rear-engined delivery vans, I have seen a Autobianchi Bianchina based delivery van once(aka dressed up Fiat 500). There seemed to be a reasonable amount of space in that truck, considering the vehicle size. But then in Europe and England there is a class for these smaller trucks. Anyway on the Autobianchi the bottom of the delivery van part was flat with the engine underneath. I suppose the only problem would be if you want to do any engine work with a load in the back

sunbeammadd

Jedi Hopeful
[ QUOTE ]
I think you could find a bucket full of hens teeth before you found one of those in Oz (west Oz anyway). I used to work on imps when they were new, and I never saw or heard of any thing like those. Its rather nice though, so if they had been selling them here (Perth) I recon you would have seen them about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe it or not there are a couple here in Oz. A guy here in Queensland used to have one of them. The Australian ones most likely all orginated from NZ where Rootes did sell them.

Graham

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
20 years ago a mate and me used to "race" a much modified Hillman Imp on the local speedway (did OK too), but this van is news to me. Never heard of one. I don't think they could have imported them to the west.
Graham /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif