• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hill Problem Solved!

Obtong

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hello Folks!

Do you remember the problem I was having with my 74 MGB that wouldn’t do hills? (Over the Hill / No Revs and $5000 Rebuild? Well it turns out that my carbs needed rebuilding. They were in a really sorry state. The linkages were worn, the butterfly valves soldered, plus a whole bunch of other problems including 5-6 mpg fuel consumption because the engine was always running rich.

I felt that I didn’t have the skill to undertake such a major rebuild/restoration. Quite by accident I came across a local mechanic who loves British Cars and is in the process of restoring his own Healey!

The job took about two weeks as we had to order the parts and there was a holiday weekend. During this time my MGB, minus his carbs, sat out in the elements (including rain) for the first time in 9 years. This was a good thing as now I’m not too concerned about driving in the rain. I wanted this car for the fun of driving it and not to have it sit waiting for a sunny day with dry roads.

The car now runs really well and manages most hills quite well, although the really steep hills are slow going. The car is also much more responsive on the flats. I now feel I have a daily driver at last.

One thing that needs attention is the differential. I always thought that the noises I got on acceleration were related to my splines and wire wheels, but I am told they are not. I’ll have to post that on a separate topic.

Obtong

Gary Lloyd

Jedi Knight
Well that is great!! Unfortunately there must still be something wrong!! Hills are really not a problem and I really don't remember any big hills around Olympia!! There are so many different distributers that were used on B's that it is unbelievable!! The proper distributer is important!! I took my '66 to a local mechanic that is a 'B freak and he told me that I had the wrong distributer in it!! He sold me the right one and WHAT A DIFFFERENCE!!!! it is like night and day!! WAAAAAAY more responsive!!! If you want, I will find the list of the proper distributers and post it for you!!! GOOD LUCK BUDDY!!!!
cheers.gif

OP
Obtong

Obtong

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks for the info Gary. The distributor I have on my 74 MGB is a 25D with a 41085 model number. The website you gave says that it should have a 41491(LC) distributor.

According to https://www.newtronic.co.uk/pages/carapp.pdf the one I have right now comes from a Rover 2000 TC (66-73).

So, a dizzy can make that much difference to a car's performance? I guess I need to look into forking out just a few more dollars to get my B really buzzin'!

Dom

[ 09-11-2003: Message edited by: Obtong ]</p>

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
I have the same 24D on my '74 and it works fine...so far. I am considering converting to electronic ignition at next springs tune up time.

Glad you got the carbs straightened out. Enjoy the beautiful fall weather now, uphill of not.

Bruce

Jim 67B

Jedi Hopeful
My 67 B will climb the steepest hills here in Seattle. Sounds like the advance curve on the distributor is not right or the timing is off. Check the timing and the total advance. Olympia does not have hills, only low bumps.

PS: If you get it fixed before Saturday, then you can enjoy the weekend. Weatherman promised sun.

OP
Obtong

Obtong

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Bruce, you have the same 41085A distributor that I have, correct? And yours is fine on hill?

Jim, do I use the advance curves for my year/engine, or for the actual distributor? Also, how do I go about changing the advance curve? Is there a web site that shows how it's done?

Bumps? Yes, we have a few, but on my side of town we have some pretty impressive inclines that I have to climb every now and then! I certaily am looking forward to this weekend's weather and hope to put a few miles on the flats of Olympia!

Dom

[ 09-11-2003: Message edited by: Obtong ]</p>

Gary Lloyd

Jedi Knight
You want the advance curve of your original distributer!! If you have the original carb set-up!! Try and get the same number as your car came with and if the casing is toast, just change the guts over!! OH!!! Don't forget to re-stamp it!!
iagree.gif
canpatriot.gif

Jim 67B

Jedi Hopeful
Obtong
The site that you should look at is https://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/ Paul Hunt has a description of advance curves and all things distributor. Click on spanners, then ignition. There you will find a link to Dizze Curves. It will give you all the info you need.
computer.gif

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Originally posted by Obtong:
[QB]Bruce, you have the same 41085A distributor that I have, correct? And yours is fine on hill?

Dom

I have the 25D distributor...if you tell me where to look for the 41985A designation, I will check that too if you would like. I pulled the cap and stuck my head in (even put on my reading glasses) and didn't see any other numbers on it this weekend. Sorry for the comfusion.

Bruce

OP
Obtong

Obtong

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Bruce,

I had to go out into the garage and take a look where the number was. It's on the metal housing below the rectangular part where the vacuum assembly is.(The oposite side of the low tension terminal lead.)

Dom

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Dom,

I finally found the number that you directed me to...I have a 41491 A 12/73 model 25D in mine...sorry it took so long...it was so dirty back there I couldn't find the plate without knowing it was back there LOL

Bruce