• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hi!

Steve_Lawrence

Hi! I stumbled upon this BB while I was searching for info on doing a shock conversion on my 1974 Midget. (I've had it all of 8 days now.) I liked what I saw so I thought that I would sign up.

ecurie_ecosse

Luke Skywalker
Well Steve,you couldn't stumble into anything better than here.
The Spridget Forum probably has the answers you need.
Welcome aboard! I have a '78 1500 Midget.

Stuart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Welcome!
Not sure which shock conversion page you found, but ~HERE'S MINE~.

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
Got any pics of that '74 Steve?
Welcome! I have not done a shock conv on mine, but there are a few in Spridgets that have, and a few of us with '74s, so you're in good hands.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Welcome - hop on over to the Spridget Forum & see what they think about the conversion.

R6MGS

Yoda
Welcome - you couldn't have found a better place...Ask away!

OP
S

Steve_Lawrence

Wow! This is a friendly forum. Let's see, where do I begin...

I'm a bit of a lurker in the other two forums that I follow, as I don't have a lot of relevant questions and there are so many on the forums that know more than I do, so I defer to them (Boat Design.com and Marine Diesel.com). I do use the same screen name everwhere that I can so that anyone who runs across me on another forum will know that it is me. I mostly read and post during breaks at work, which means that there are sometimes days that I don't turn up and I often go the entire weekend without checking in from home. During the week, I do get to emails, so anyone can try that if I'm not coming around soon enough.

I have done a bit of body and paint work on my el Camino projects a few years ago. I have the most of the tools, but need some sheet-metal MIG experience before I do any welding on anything that is not scrap. I'm getting pretty good at 1/8" and thicker in-position welds, so that's a start. I have quite a lot of experience with glass work on boats, so that may come in handy

Enough about ME. It is time to get the your questions about ME :b

Nial, it was a thread that was mostly you and Rob that turned up on my Google search. From there, I found my way to your web page. I love the simplicity of your conversion, and will put in the added reinforcement that you developed the hard way. I'll probably go ahead with your extra link as well. It essentially creates an A-arm, and should be pretty strong. The only reason that I could see to do a full upper A-arm would be if the lever shock was excessively heavy. Having never touched one, I don't know about that.

Steve S. where do you live in the valley? I grew up in Reseda and went to Cleveland High (class of '84). Same story for my wife, but Reseda High (Mary Riley, class of '76).

Baz, no photos yet. I haven't gotten a digital camera yet. I've bought two of them, one for my kid, and a few years later, one for his wife. Someday I'll get around to buying one for me.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I'll post the details of my '74 in the Spridget forum in the next couple of days.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Steve - digital camera probably should be the first "tool" you buy for the conversion...great for taking photos of before & after & for posting with questions to give us a better understanding of what's bugging you....plus, we'll all need a diary of your work so we don't "reinvent the conversion"....I use mine daily.

Steve_S

Yoda
I spent my early years in Reseda as well! I am now over by Calabasas. Just a short jump over the hill if you need anything.