• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGA hey guys picked up a 60 mga on craigslist

AK_ED

needs alot of work but will get it going in the next 6 months or so. my plan is to build it into a driver sothe resto will be of driver quality. the car will be solid and dependable but not show quality. so is there anything i should know about these cars while im " in the there" type things that should be addressed.

cheers ed

Attachments

• 22317.jpg
    22317.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 870

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
Ed,
Nice find. Its pretty basic but if the front calipers need to be rebuilt and need pistons then MGB is the way to go. They are the same size as a MGA caliper piston but much cheaper. There is a 1/4" slide pin on a mga caliper that needs to be cut out. You will like that car if you are a bit under 6" tall! Have fun with it. Bob

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Nice find. But, I'll bite, how many hours summer driving do you get in Alaska? :whistle:

OP
A

AK_ED

bob67bgt said:
Ed,
Nice find. Its pretty basic but if the front calipers need to be rebuilt and need pistons then MGB is the way to go. They are the same size as a MGA caliper piston but much cheaper. There is a 1/4" slide pin on a mga caliper that needs to be cut out. You will like that car if you are a bit under 6" tall! Have fun with it. Bob

thanks for the tip on the mgb calipers and i am 5'10" so i should be fine. the car is now totally apart repairing the rust and installing new wire harnes.

cheers ed

OP
A

AK_ED

JPSmit said:
Nice find. But, I'll bite, how many hours summer driving do you get in Alaska? :whistle:

this summer was pretty wet but normally we get nice dry days from may till sept. and average of 15 plus hours.

cheers ed

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
AK_ED said:
JPSmit said:

this summer was pretty wet but normally we get nice dry days from may till sept. and average of 15 plus hours.

cheers ed

Awww you win :bow:

Country flag
AK_ED said:
JPSmit said:

cheers ed

Is that an average of 15 plus hours of nice dry days between May and September?! :laugh: LoL

Great looking find you have there!

OP
A

AK_ED

hey guys tore it down for a referbish. needing lots of little bits and was wondering where to look for new and used parts.
ebay i have checked out but wondering if there was a good classifieds site.

cheers ed

Attachments

• 22337.jpg
    22337.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 741
Country flag
That's in really decent shape, isn't it? :smile: Wish all barn finds were that clean!!

OP
A

AK_ED

not to bad shape,and yes that is iris blue my least favorite of all. im going to go for some sort of off white or tan beige. all things considered it is a pretty nice little car.

anyone have a idea for a used parts source or classifieds section.

<span style="font-weight: bold"> heres another before engine bay pick</span>

cheers ed

Attachments

• 22341.jpg
    22341.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 700

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Just to be clear, he wasn't talking about swapping in complete MGB calipers (although that can also be done with some pricy adaptors), but just replacing the expensive MGA caliper pistons with the hole for the retractor pin with plain (and cheap) MGB caliper pistons without the holes - after you break off the pin inside the MGA calipers.

OP
A

AK_ED

billspohn said:
Just to be clear, he wasn't talking about swapping in complete MGB calipers (although that can also be done with some pricy adaptors), but just replacing the expensive MGA caliper pistons with the hole for the retractor pin with plain (and cheap) MGB caliper pistons without the holes - after you break off the pin inside the MGA calipers.

thanks for clearing that up i was understanding it as replacing the whole unit with mgb calipers. now i understand about the piston change. ill get to the breaks soon they where working but very crusty looking.

cheers ed

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Yeah, Ed - the MGB has the same diameter as the MGA but the pistons are way cheaper and easier to find. If you break those pins out of the calipers, you can just pop in the MGB pistons.

Spinal_Tap

Ed, my B had a similar "Big red hose" in the engine bay when I bought her. Some interesting plumbing to go with it...

Your A looks like it's in good shape for it's age. I always love the A's, and I like them like yours, in white. I think it looks very classy.

D

MGA75002

darn, Ed!! You just missed sportscar season in Alaska. It runs from August 7 thru August 14, although it can get hairy after the 10th.

She sure looks good from the outside. I wish I had your courage - and skill - to tackle a job like that.

I am a trained accountant, not a mechanic, but I think that you are going to have to replace that radiator cap.

Bueno suerte!

OP
A

AK_ED

nice one on the season thing but the last two days have been the best we have had all year. sometimes i wish i was an accountant and not a mechanic, but after 25 years of this stuff looks like i have found my calling. i have to say that after owning porsches of the same vintage that these british cars are pretty simple to work on.

all in all this project is pretty easy as far as a driver type resto goes.

will get pics of the progress soon.

cheers ed

p.s. didnt really miss the season i had this to take up my time

MGA75002 said:
darn, Ed!! You just missed sportscar season in Alaska. It runs from August 7 thru August 14, although it can get hairy after the 10th.

She sure looks good from the outside. I wish I had your courage - and skill - to tackle a job like that.

I am a trained accountant, not a mechanic, but I think that you are going to have to replace that radiator cap.

Bueno suerte!

Attachments

• 22375.jpg
    22375.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 617
Country flag
AK_ED said:
i have to say that after owning porsches of the same vintage that these british cars are pretty simple to work on.

Oh Ed! I HOPE you're on good terms with the local Elders, you're going to need them!

If you are a fan of Harry Potter, you're familiar with He-Who-Cannot-Be-Named. In LBC world, he is called The Prince Of Darkness!! The Prince Of Darkness seeks out the innocent and uninformed, those who say the words "british cars" and "pretty simple" and "pretty easy" in the same discussion and brings his FULL wrath to bear upon their souls! Graveyards on "The Continent" are full with mechanics and owners alike who thought such as you!

You see, I was once like you. I mentioned to my fellow enthusiasts about the operational status of my MGB. I did not escape - first it was a full clutch replacement, then 3 weeks later an electrical fire. Now, I am a shadow of the man I used to be, relegated to hiding in a darkenend garage, my only contact with the outside world is this Forum.

YOUR only hope at this point is to have the Elders prepare a ritual and TRY to deflect the wrath of the Prince Of Darkness! May the british car angels have mercy on your soul!! :laugh:

[Ok, I AM just kidding! But the clutch r&r and the electrical fire DID happen pretty much as I described it!!]

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
Picky, Picky, Picky.

OP
A

AK_ED

hey thanks for the warning!i am familiar with the so called prince of darkness as i have owned several early rovers and currently own a disco. the wireing will be easy i cut it all out and will rewire the whole car using the factory switches. im sure i will have my challenges with the car but hey thats all part of the fun of it all.

cheers ed

Silverghost said:
AK_ED said:
i have to say that after owning porsches of the same vintage that these british cars are pretty simple to work on.

Oh Ed! I HOPE you're on good terms with the local Elders, you're going to need them!

If you are a fan of Harry Potter, you're familiar with He-Who-Cannot-Be-Named. In LBC world, he is called The Prince Of Darkness!! The Prince Of Darkness seeks out the innocent and uninformed, those who say the words "british cars" and "pretty simple" and "pretty easy" in the same discussion and brings his FULL wrath to bear upon their souls! Graveyards on "The Continent" are full with mechanics and owners alike who thought such as you!

You see, I was once like you. I mentioned to my fellow enthusiasts about the operational status of my MGB. I did not escape - first it was a full clutch replacement, then 3 weeks later an electrical fire. Now, I am a shadow of the man I used to be, relegated to hiding in a darkenend garage, my only contact with the outside world is this Forum.

YOUR only hope at this point is to have the Elders prepare a ritual and TRY to deflect the wrath of the Prince Of Darkness! May the british car angels have mercy on your soul!! :laugh:

[Ok, I AM just kidding! But the clutch r&r and the electrical fire DID happen pretty much as I described it!!]