• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Help in Northern NJ

I'm a first time Healey Restorer. I've never driven a healey, sat in a finished one or worked on one prior to starting this project 3 years ago.

I'd love to have some one local that wouldn't mind helping out occasionally with advice and would let me check out there completed car so I can get a better plan in place.

Thank you.

Jay

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Jay:
You got a whole forum of folks here, just tell them what your principal problem is en I am sure they can come up with lots of help. I also hope One of them close to you can be of assistance too --CHEERS

Now U see what I mean thanks AN6-TX :encouragement:

Last edited:
OP
A
Jay:
You got a whole forum of folks here, just tell them what your principal problem is en I am sure they can come up with lots of help. I also hope One of them close to you can be of assistance too --CHEERS

Now U see what I mean thanks AN6-TX :encouragement:

I am more concerned about having a finished BT7 to sit in so I can design my interior appropriately.

Once I get further along, someone local that has more mechanical knowledge then me will be helpful.

rjc157

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I find that hard to believe most of the members are older men with a passion for the cars what do you mean by completely stock what are your plans for the car

Joe_Healey

Country flag
Jay

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience with AHSTC . I've been a member almost since their inception and as with anything it may be just the odd person you made contact with. I'm in Ho Ho Kus and have a BJ8; you are welcome to "sit in" if it helps.

Joe
BN1 #923 Coronet Cream
BN2 100M
BJ8 aka Blue Baby as per wife and kid.

Joe_Healey

Country flag
I should have the BJ8 and the coronet cream BN1 there this year. The 100M is currently in the reassembly stage. I took it to bare metal and have painted it in the original blue over OWE. I remember seeing your car there, also a very nice car. Hope to see you this year and lets make sure we get o meet up.

Joe

OP
A
I find that hard to believe most of the members are older men with a passion for the cars what do you mean by completely stock what are your plans for the car

I have no reason to lie. I sent several emails out, received no responses except for 2 people criticizing my build.

I have the jules frame, doing a custom interior, deleting the rear seats, installing a roll bar, doing rack and pinion, neg earth, some body mods, modern trans, alternator, starter, fuel pump upgrades among other things.

OP
A
Jay

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience with AHSTC . I've been a member almost since their inception and as with anything it may be just the odd person you made contact with. I'm in Ho Ho Kus and have a BJ8; you are welcome to "sit in" if it helps.

Joe
BN1 #923 Coronet Cream
BN2 100M
BJ8 aka Blue Baby as per wife and kid.

Just lack of assistance. I understand that some people are purist but not everyone. I wasn't close to being born when the these cars were on the roads. I want a safer and more reliable car with better performance. I also like to be different and want my car to stand out.

For people to pass there judgement on me when I am someone that does almost all the work myself, makes everything custom in my garage and puts in the wrench time is not right.

I inherited this car from my late father. It has not run since the mid 70's and didn't see daylight until I pulled the tarps off in 2012. 99% of people would have scrapped this rusted out car or parted the few remaining parts that were good. So by saving this car and investing as much money as I am to get it on the road means that I'm doing as much to honor these cars as anyone with a concours restoration.

I don't need people to love what i'm doing, that's why they have there own cars... I just ask that my work and plans to be respected.

I've never done a restoration like this or worked on a british car so I joined the club and paid for a years membership in hopes that someone would help with some advice and on some of the mechanical items.

Joe_Healey

Country flag
Just lack of assistance. I understand that some people are purist but not everyone. I wasn't close to being born when the these cars were on the roads. I want a safer and more reliable car with better performance. I also like to be different and want my car to stand out.

For people to pass there judgement on me when I am someone that does almost all the work myself, makes everything custom in my garage and puts in the wrench time is not right.

I inherited this car from my late father. It has not run since the mid 70's and didn't see daylight until I pulled the tarps off in 2012. 99% of people would have scrapped this rusted out car or parted the few remaining parts that were good. So by saving this car and investing as much money as I am to get it on the road means that I'm doing as much to honor these cars as anyone with a concours restoration.

I don't need people to love what i'm doing, that's why they have there own cars... I just ask that my work and plans to be respected.

I've never done a restoration like this or worked on a british car so I joined the club and paid for a years membership in hopes that someone would help with some advice and on some of the mechanical items.

I think the fact that you are bringing back to life a car that many would pass on is great and the fact that your dad once owned it makes it all the more special. To me what has all been great about Healeys is doing them the way you want. Two places you might find help: The Nasty Boy site, lots of guys with modified cars and Tuxedo Motor Sports. George the owner has been a friend for over 30 years. He currently has a nasty boy BN? with a stroker motor. His shop is a master at modifing anything. A bunch of us congregate on Sat. mornings to shoot the breeze. If you decide to take a ride let me know and I'll make sure I'm there.

Joe

stevebt7

Freshman Member
Silver
Country flag
I live in Morris Twp. NJ and you're welcome to come and see, sit in and examine my BT7 - just a decent driver that I enjoy. You also should come to BritFest on May 2 in Succasunna where there are usually a number of big Healeys. As a member of AHSTC, I am sorry to hear about your experience with whomever you talked to. We have a number of members in north Jersey with modified Healeys although we have our share of purists. Variety is the spice of life!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I also live in Morris County, only about 3 miles from the Britfest event Steve listed above. And yes indeed.....come on over on May 2 and you'll see some great cars.....and not all "stock".

I can think of several, local people who could give you support and ideas.........and at least one person (actually, in your town) that you should avoid at all costs.

I don't own a big Healey (I'll be bringing my racing #909 to Britfest, seen below, plus probably my Super 7), but I know a number of good, local people who would be great resources for you. I also know some racers who can give you some useful ideas about updating big Healeys.

As for purist cars at Britfest....yes you will find them. But you will also find stuff like this (seen at the 2014 event):

britfest-2014-nj-42.jpg

britfest-2014-nj-41.jpg

One guy always brings his Jag V-12 powered MGA. Probably not something most of us would do, but it makes him happy and makes neat sounds!

britfest-2014-nj-14.jpg

Here's a lot more photos of Britfest last year: ~LINK~

If you want to chat more about the local scene in northwest NJ, send me a PM (private message) using the system here. Just click on "aeronca65t" above my yellow avatar.