• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Help Identify this car chassis

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
IMG_0761.jpeg

Today I saw this chassis, it has no ID. It comes with a Kent 1600 motor, but that is not original to the car. It is advertised as a 1972 Lola Formula Ford. I do not think it is as the chassis it built with round tubing! It has me stumped as it would be a good project, but without knowing the make, I would never know what body would goes on the car. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0760.jpeg
    IMG_0760.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 68
OP
apbos

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Good spot! It is a Super Vee! Only 26 made! Rare but where do you get a body in the US and it still needs a VW Rabbit motor!

Lola Heritage T620

thanks
Paul

OP
apbos

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Crazy! Never would have thought with such small numbers to find another owner. I’m out the door now Bristol, but I will contact you or have the owner pm you though myself. Heading to College Station Texas for a special graduation so I’ll be on the road. My daughter is getting her Masters in Engineering. I wonder if she could CAD it?
thx
Paul

JHaydon

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Check out the Lola Registry (thelolaregistry.com). Webmaster Allan Chou has a T-620. He's a super guy and he may well have a source. He'll also want to know about yours.

Also, Carl Haas was the Lola importer forever. A friend who worked for Haas reported that they never discarded anything. Might be worth ringing them on the off-chance they still have some dusty spares.

OP
apbos

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I will inform the owner and keep it in mind if I purchase the car. It is missing so much and they are the rarest and most expensive parts!
thank you

JHaydon

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Oh, I thought it was in your garage already! I was going to ask you the chassis and type number from the chassis tag.

FWIW, the first FF I looked at buying was a Lola T-580 (F2000) which had been converted to FF1600 specs (basically a T-540, but with centerlock hubs). The T-620 is probably going to be worth more these days converted back to 620 specs, but I sure wouldn't mind running it for a season or two as a 620/540. I think the majority of Swift DB-6 (F2000) have been converted to DB-1/6 (FF1600) these days, so there's certainly precedent!

OP
apbos

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I was under the impression that with a conversion would not be possible to run the car in vintage FF. The chassis is so much like the t540 I would figure it could be converted to use the Kent engine. A body could be found or made if you had more give someone more options.

JHaydon

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I believe it would depend on the vintage organization, and maybe on when the conversion was done. If it had been converted in period, and if you could present period log books and/or race records to support the claim, I think just about any organization "should" accept it. Some organizations -- those which will accept a Bugeye Sprite which was only turned into a racecar last year -- would have even less of an issue with it.

If it has a log book listing it as an FF1600, you could run it as FF/CFF/HFF in Regionals (oops, sorry, they're called Divisionals now) or with non-SCCA groups (Midwestern Council, FRCCA, etc).

Not that any of the above makes this car a can't-miss deal. Just... might not be as worthless as it may appear.

OP
apbos

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Bugeye Sprite which was only turned into a racecar last year -- would have even less of an issue with it……

Like this one….😀😀😀😀
image.jpeg

JHaydon

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Exactly! :smile:

BTW, I didn't mean that in a negative way -- just pointing out that one or two somewhat hoity-toity organizations define "vintage race cars" as "cars that were raced pre-19xx." The ones who define "vintage race cars" as "pre-19xx cars prepared for racing" tend to be a little more laid back and a lot of fun!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Good spot! It is a Super Vee! Only 26 made! Rare but where do you get a body in the US and it still needs a VW Rabbit motor!

Lola Heritage T620

thanks
Paul
Paul, thanks for the magnificent rabbit hole! (y)

OP
apbos

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Doc
Thank you. The chassis is still available if anyone is interested. I have looked at another car that is a project and further along and most importantly has a transmission. The price of those Hewland transmissions is crazy $$. I have another rabbit hole chassis that I have some information about that I might post later today.
Paul

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Old ZF? :cool:(y)

Bristol401

Country flag
I can’t see if a price was ever stated. To confirm if it is a Formula Ford or a Super Vee… wheel stud pattern and brake caliper origin.

OP
apbos

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
$4200.00
Craigslist add
Looks like it is still available. The seller is a very nice guy.
Paul

OP
apbos

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Yes it is Doug. I came a long way from the $500 Bugeye!
IMG_0453.jpeg

IMG_0031.jpeg

JHaydon

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I can’t see if a price was ever stated. To confirm if it is a Formula Ford or a Super Vee… wheel stud pattern and brake caliper origin.

Or just the type number on the chassis tag. And if the chassis tag is missing... then it's worth even less.

The front wheels look (almost?) like 4-bolt but the rears definitely have a center nut.

And that engine block number... Unless there's an "L" cast into the other side of the block, it's a late "non-uprated" block. Meaning that it originally had the weaker round main bearing caps and would only be suitable for vintage racing. But with the wet sump pan and generator still in place, it's clear the car never raced with that engine. So you're talking body, transmission, AND engine.

Might be a fun CSR/DSR conversion project for $4200 but the title of the ad says $42,000!

For $4200, sell the engine to someone building a Cortina (or other Kent-engined thing). Adapt a motorcycle drivetrain, make your own bodywork, and have fun with the Sports Racer classes.