• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hello - thinking of buying my first Healey [BJ8]

Country flag
Just noticed the firewall looks like it's been resprayed. I don't think the firewalls were painted with the grommets already installed, but can't say beyond a doubt. Also looks like overspray on the choke bracket and ID plate. I'd be curious why this was done, if it was.

OP
C

CooperD

Freshman Member
The car was resprayed in 1990 - so perhaps the overspray and the paint on the firewall happened during that time as well, but it's worth asking about.

The blue plates are vanity plates put on by the second owner. I asked, and the black plates are not available.

Steve was estimating the engine would need a rebuild based on mileage - he said when he drove the car, it pulled strong, but he didn't give me a compression reading. I would have a compression test done while I was there to see the readings in person.

I think the flex fan was put on with the new radiator in an attempt to combat the overheating problem. The combination of mileage, little leaks, and overheating does lead me to agree that a rebuild is in it's near future - but much of the rest appears to be in good shape.

I'm a big fan of 2-seater roadsters myself, but the wife and I want a 2+2 configuration for this one so that we can take our two kids with us on the occasional drive and picnic. (is it considered a major sin to add lap belts to the 2 rear seats?)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Depending on serial number, the tags on the rocker cover shouold be stickers rather than the riveted tags appearing in the pictures. The later cars had stickers. Not nearly as cool as the metal tags, in my opinion, but if those tags are not appropriate for the serial number, it may indicate an engine swap.[/QUOTE]
What range of serial #'s would correspond to the stickers vs. the metal plates?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]The door handles are off and that means the doors have been worked on.[/QUOTE]
Can you elaborate on that? Is it the position of the door handles that appears incorrect?

I'll keep you all posted as it develops - thanks again for all the great tips!

rjc157

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
hi ralph from ny there were a couple of nice bj8 in the healey marque this month join a club and go to some shows to get a good idea of what to buy 36k isn't cheap so if your ready to spend that much there are a number of cars out there good luck

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
"I would have a compression test done while I was there to see the readings in person."
---------------------------
Insist on a LEAKDOWN test--not just a compression test. If he says he doesn't know what it is or that it is not necessary walk away from the car at a reasonable clip.

Country flag
The door handles (on the inside of the ca) should be pointing upward. Easy to fix but indicates work done by some one who does not know Healeys.

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
According to Anderson-Moment, aftr approximately engine no. 29K/10271 "the (metal) plate was replaced by a self-adhesive foil decal of the same size, shape and design. Accompanying that change, the valve covers no longer had rivet holes." Same change was made to rear brass plate. You'll need to know what engine came with the car. Heritage certificate will give you this info.

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
Wow..in my humble opinion..way over priced....I would really get to know the Healey marque before jumpin in the fire...

Pete

OP
C

CooperD

Freshman Member
Thanks for all of the information and support. The wife and I have talked it over, and now is not the time for us. We are going to use the time to get better acquainted with the marquee and research more. I expect that I'll be around here from time to time to learn and ask questions. I hope to see a few of you at some local Los Angeles meets in the next few months!

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
CooperD said:
Thanks for all of the information and support. The wife and I have talked it over, and now is not the time for us. We are going to use the time to get better acquainted with the marquee and research more. I expect that I'll be around here from time to time to learn and ask questions. I hope to see a few of you at some local Los Angeles meets in the next few months!

I've had a few of those "talks" with my wife myself :nopity: :wall:

NIB

Its always difficult to buy an old car. I looked for 18 months before I found my the BJ8 I ended up buying. I must admit I looked for cars in Denmark and there are very few to choose from, so you have to wait long for the right model to show, I also looked in USA, but it seemed to risky to buy a car unseen.

When looking in USA in 2009, I discovered a good driver BJ8 ph 2, was for sale at around 38-45.000$. Below 35.000 looked to have way to many things that needed attention. I had some people help looking at the cars from pictures, and was warned by many problems on all the cars I looked at, in the end I almost lost interest in getting an Austin Healey, because of alle these warnings. It seemed like no matter what I bought I would get alot of problems.

In 2010 I found this car in Denmark, https://www.fantasyjunction.com/cars/544-Austin-Healey-3000%20Mk.%20III%20Phase%20II-Inline%206%20Cyl with freshly rebuilt engine for 46.000$. I know it was bought in USA in late 2006 for 38.000$. Transportation, importtaxes etc, make them abit more expensive in Denmark than USA.
I decided it didnt mean that much to me if the price was 40.000 or 46.000, if it was the right car for me. I plan to keep it for many years, and if it cost abit more or less doesn't mean anything in the long run.

So as you say, follow the market and strike when the right car shows. Have some patience, and go see some cars to get an idea of what kind of condition you get for the price you want to pay.
And always look below the car for rust, the sellers rarely show pictures from below.

Niels

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
CooperD said:
Always a good idea to look before you leap!!
Patrick

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Bob_Spidell said:
Patrick67BJ8 said:
Always a good idea to look before you leap!!
Patrick

Well, I bought my BJ8 totally on impulse (although I'd wanted one for years). No regrets, 27 years and a 100M later.
Me too, Nop regrets, only 38 years ago, but I could have made a "grass looks greener on the other side of the hill" looking back purchase and might have come out ahead money wise.
Patrick

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
I also bought my first Healey on impulse in 1982. A 61 Bugeye with new paint..learned quickly that it had the wrong seats, etc., etc....

A learning experience, no regrets..but I didn't lose any $ when I sold it the next year.
Pete