• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hello there!

motzart007

Freshman Member
Country flag
Good morning, folks! My name is David, and I am the proud co-owner (sharing with the wife) of a 1969 Spitfire Mk 3. We are the 3rd owners, buying it from her stepfather and it's in very good shape:
  • 38,000+ original miles.
  • Re-built 1295 cc motor, but it's been re-bored at .0030 over w/ new pistons, rings, hardened valves and valve guides, as well as a new performance tappet set. My Father-in-law also swapped the twin SU setup for a single 2-barrel Weber (ease of use and tuning) and had the head milled down accordingly.
  • Commonly starts on the first try, with a little coaxing from the choke.
  • Great to drive, especially down the back roads here in central Oklahoma.
Here's what's not so hot:
  • I am fairly certain that the rear differential is original though the performance suggests otherwise. I have to stand on the accelerator just to hit 55 - 60 at roughly 5000+ RPMs in 4th gear. Just a 4 speed, no overdrive. I have not been under the car to check the casing stamp on the differential to verify this, but if the wrong gear ratio was put in there (or a complete diff switch out) at some point prior to me owning it (other than what is stock for the car), that may explain its performance, lack thereof. I get that these cars weren't exactly known for their speed (excluding the souped-up racers of the '70's and '80's), but they should at least hit 80 - 85 mph stock.
  • Just in case anyone asks, I verified my speed with my brother pacing me in his car just to eliminate a possible fault with the speedo.
Aside from all that, I am trying to source some seats for it at the moment.
I work as desktop support tech for a major aerospace defense company here in Oklahoma City. Married 30 years, 3 dogs, 2 kids and one mortgage.
Here she is in the driveway of our old house about 2 years ago.
1708451813645.jpeg

Anyway, that's her and the wife and I enjoy her very much.

Anyone out there got some decent seats for a '69 spit?

-Dave

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
great looking car and lovely heritage. welcome!

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Welcome! Did you,by chance have a Datsun B210 at one time?

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Nope, never owned a B210. I did own a Nissan sentra in highschool but it was a car in the academic sense; it had an engine, it ran, and it got me from A to B.
I was referring to the Honeybee decal on the rear fender.

OP
motzart007

motzart007

Freshman Member
Country flag
I was referring to the Honeybee decal on the rear fender.
Interesting story on that. My father-in-law was the one who sold the car to me. He traded a Yamaha Virago for it on the side of an Oklahoma backroad in roughly 1990 or 1991. It was pale banana yellow then. Fast forward to when the New Orleans Hornets basketball team had to temporarily move here to OKC due to hurricane Katrina, it was him with a cheeky decorative sense who thought of honoring them by placing a hornet decal on the brand-new Daytona Yellow paint he just paid for!