• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hello. Newbie here.

Jon

Freshman Member
Hey everyone. I am new here, and will start off by telling you a little about myself, and the "Sprite". Well my name is Jon, and I am 19. I took many automotive classes in high school, (3 years of Tech, and 3 years of Body). My specialty is body work. I have restored a 1973 Opel GT, curently working on my grandpa's 1940's Willy's Jeep, have plans on helping my dad with his 1972 Opel GT, have helped with body work on two Chevelles in school, painted MANY small items, and a couple of cars, and now am going to be working on my Uncles 196? Austin Healey Sprite. I THINK it is a 1966, but will have to get back to you guys with the year.

I don't really know much on the history of the car. My uncle has had it for around 15 or so years, where it has just sat in his barn since he is also re-doing a mustang on his "spare" time, which has been like a 5 year project and still going. Anyways, the car is in pretty good shape as far as being structurally sound. I have no idea if it runs or not, a lot of the parts are not there. I will for sure get plenty of pictures up and on here, and more as I get going on it.

My first big question is, I cannot find any websites or anything that sells parts for them. The only body parts I may need are floorboards. Everything else is OK. As far as interior, there is none. It has no windshield frame or windshield. No top since its a convertible. Headlights, none, grill, none, ect. A resource for some parts would be great.

My plans are as following. Re-install the trunk lid, hood, doors, everything to make sure the fit is ok. Once that is complete, I will be taking EVERYTHING off of the car, from the motor to the fenders to work on things one at a time. I will be coating the engine compartment, underbody, and inside of the fenders with a rustproofing paint. It is the same stuff I used on my Opel. I do not remember the name, but it was about 100$ a gallon, and is as hard as concrete.

For the motor, I have no idea what my uncle plans on doing. I do not know if he wants to install a different motor (any suggestions on an easy fit?) or just rebuild the stock motor. For the body, he gets to choose the color. As of right now, he wants to go with the mint green color like on the new VW Beetles. Anyone have pictures of anything like that?

Anyways, sorry for the LONG first post, but I am sure I will be here quite often with lots of questions since I really don't know a lot about these cars lol.

-Jon

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
Welcome Jon, if you can find the VIN number, we'll be able to give you a year, may be on the inside rear of the drivers side door.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
First, Google Moss Motors and Victoria British. Both are suppliers in good standing mostly.

Our Tony Barnhill here is a distributor of both of those and others as well. Good prices. No intrest except he has become a good friend of those of us here.

Oh yea Moss and VB will send you catalogs for your Spridget by year.

Hehe, don't put goop under your car till you understand how it is really supose to be.

Try a book called The Orginal Sprite and Midget for the real thing.

And last but not least, this is the place to get all the answers to your Spridget questions and fast as well.

Oh yea. lots of other parts dealers and such like our Peter C, AH Spares, etc, etc.

Go back and read previous posts, as many as you can stand.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Welcome, Jon! And a hearty congrats for jumping into old British cars! You'll find this is THE place to get info on the Sprite, maybe even a line on a few parts, too.

Stick with us. This place is more like a chat room in reaction time than the regular "forum" sites. Good luck and indeed post photos!

EDIT: See what I mean?! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Speedy_Pete

Jedi Trainee
Welcome to the mad house! You'll have to upload some pics of the Sprite soon, or the other members will start rioting!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Welcome Jon.

You can find most of the inner sheet metal for a Sprite or Midget ~HERE~

Also, look over the entire Moss Motors or Victoria British websites for other parts.

Moss:
https://www.mossmotors.com

As was said, one of our guys here (Tony B) is a Moss Motors reseller, and can give you some good prices on Moss items.

ChrisS

Jedi Knight
Welcome. If you click my website link below you will find the service manual for the car. This won't help with body work but should help with the mechanicals. As others have said, this forum has all the practical answers so ask away.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Welcome!

I'll second using Tony for parts. He's a supporting vendor, and can usually get you really good prices on the bits you need. He works under the name "The Autoist" and you will see his add on the banner ads at the top of the site. His web site is:

https://www.theautoist.com

Otherwise, Moss and Victoria British are the 2 top US sources for parts. AH Spares (in England) can also be helpful for some pieces.

https://www.ahspares.co.uk

Bruce_B

Jedi Warrior
Jon,

Welcome to the world of LBC (Little British Cars)! You've already gotten info. as to where to order parts so just o adding my hello.

I've only been on this site for a few months but it is the best site on the internet. Lots of great information and good people. It really is true that there is no such thing as a stupid question.

Good luck!

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Just another welcome Jon. Looks like you have darn good credentials for one so young. Yep, you'll get all the great advice and hand-holding you could ever need right here. Enjoy the LBC hobby!

ecurie_ecosse

Luke Skywalker
Another welcome for you Jon. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/savewave.gif
As has already been said,we need pictures of that car. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

Stuart. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Jon

Welcome, all good people above with great info. If you have any questions ask here.

Patrick

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
Hey Jon, glad to see a youngin' on here! I am 26.

I highly recommend getting the Moss and Victoria British catalogs. They are invaluable with the exploded diagrams.

Also, hope I am not breaking forum rules, but I've been using Little British Car Company as they are close to work for me (Farmington, MI). So, there's no shipping when I order through them. I'm sure I'll use Tony in the future, but for these small ticket items I need on occasion, it just makes sense to me to drive 5 miles over from my office to get them.

Look on ebay for windshield, etc. I got 2 used fenders and two complete doors for $130. I had to drive to Ohio to pick them up, but worth it IMO.

This forum is GREAT, so you made a great step just in coming here. These guys know the cars inside and out.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
A few of us even know 'em upside-down!

...couldn't help meself, Jeff. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

ecurie_ecosse

Luke Skywalker
DrEntropy said:
A few of us even know 'em upside-down!

...couldn't help meself, Jeff. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

Must be a story in there somewhere Doc. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

Stuart. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
See Bugeye58's avatar.

George Zeck

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Jon -

Welcome. This site is wonderful. I probably would have junked my car if I wasn't encouraged by the guys (probably would have just wasted it on booze & broads anyways).

Besides the Moss / Victoria British (VB)catalogs for part histories -- 2) learn the "search" function on the very top right of all the pages. Whatever you are doing has been done 10 times before by these guys and talked about by 100's. Learn from their mistakes and things will go alot smoother for you.

IF yours is a 66 - it probably is a 1275 cc engine (you can tell with the help of a moss or vb catalog and the vin - usually on the inside wall if the drivers side engine compartment. If it is -- that's the most popular and parts friendly. If it's before (1098cc) -- parts are expensive -- I had this and swapped out since a rebuild was necessary in my circumstance.

Hope this helps -- it's cool having the newest cars on the block -- most of all ours have been rebuilt and are virtually new.

Welcome again.

George Zeck

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
welcome
you will find its easy to get parts and it is a strait forward resto
classic motor sports magazine did a Spridget top to bottom
and the articals are on line

cheery
steve

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
Hey Jon, can't say anything other than what's already been said....other than WELCOME.

ncbugeye

Jedi Warrior
Jon,

What everyone else said is true...

But another point - don't necessarily fork out big bucks for "new" parts unless you have to. In some cases the "new" parts are not as good quality as the used part you could pick up from your local junkyard, or from the numerous packrats who inhabit this forum, or by keeping a regular eye on Ebay under the heading "vintage car and truck parts".

In a nutshell, always ask here first.

I'm comparatively new here myself, and have found the forum to be like the oracle at Delphi on more than one occasion.