• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hello from the newest newbie

spankyway

I have just be come the proud owner of a 75 MGB that did not cost me a thing! I got the car off a tradefrom a none running 75 Goldwing that did not cost me anything!! It came from a friend that I gave advice to on how to paint his trike!!! Anyway I now have a running and driving 75 MGB that I am already having fun with.
I do have some questiond though, The red light (The alternator light?) on the dash stays on while the engine is running, any thoughts. Also the rear blinkers and back up lights do not work. And last but not least is there anyway to put a good generic choke on these cars?
Steve

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Check wireing grounds.

Rear lights are grounded inside the trunk near the tag mount.

On my car, I had the same problem with the rear lights, I had to clean the bulb sockets, and replace the bulbs in the reverse lights.

I'm not sure what the red light indicates. Different dash setup than mine.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Welcome aboard Spanky.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

The price sure was right! I'm sure the MG will provide you with lots of fun moments.

As far as the alternator idiot light goes. That comes on to indicate the the voltage coming from the alternator is less then that of the battery...in other words, it ain't charging. Check the obvious first, like a loose belt and connections to the alternator. If that checks out OK, your alternator is most likely kaput. If you have a voltmeter, you can check the things yourself. At about 2500-3000 rpm, the alternator should be putting out about 14 volts with no load...electrical accessories off. If you load it up, the voltage will drop, but shouldn't go below about 13.2 volts. If it doesn't put out anymore then battery voltage, then there is a problem. At that point, best to find a local rebuilder to check it out and repair it.

Good luck with the new MG.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

JTB

If the alternator is gone then consider an upgrade. Don't know what amps your stock one puts out but there is an upgrade of a Ford Fiesta alt that puts out abou 50 amps and an AC Delco (Saturn I think) that puts out 90 or so. Really makes a difference when you add things in the future that need current and just makes lights brighter when you do. The Fiesta one is a bolt on generally (I had to flat file a mounting ear a bit was all) and the AC Delco one takes a little more work but not extensive. There are some web sites around with detailed instructions.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
looks like everyone got ya covered on the electrical bits. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

For that choke, you can get a manual choke conversion from Moss Motors, Victoria British, or Tony Barnhill. From looking at the catalogs, I like the appearance of the manual choke conversion kit for Zenith-Stromberg carbs (the stock carb on MGBs that only have a single carb) the most.

Your other choke alternative is to take the carb off the car and rebuild it and the choke. From what I hear, the stock choke is not a bad unit if kept in good nick. My '76 was converted to manual choke when I got it so I'm not 100% on this, but if I'm not mistaken you need to fully press the accelorater to the floor and let it back up to activate the stock choke before attempting to start the car. No worries on "flooding" the engine doing that because stock MGB carbs have no accelorater pumps.

Anywho, I hope at least some of this info is helpful, and best of luck

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
IIRC, NAPA also has a manual kit for the application... I can't vouche for the style of the knob tho. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OP
S

spankyway

thanks guys, you have given me a lot to think about.
Steve
p.s. anybody on the list from northwest Georgia? up around Dallas or Cartersville? It would be nice to have someone close to talk with.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
*sigh*

West-central FL here, and know the dilemma.

David64MGB

Check for car clubs nearby. We have a English car club where I live with about 45 members, and this is a city of 200,000. All with cars. An amazing resource for advice, parts, and someone to drink your beer while they try to tell you why your alternator isn't working.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Way to go.....so, what's your final goal for all your swaps?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
"...even th' lighthouse is dark..."

Apologies: Great Lakes fever.....

R6MGS

Yoda
Welcome - What a deal! An old free car is much sweeter than anything that has a price tag.

OP
S

spankyway

I hope to get it where I can drive it daily with some reliability. I have owned a Triumph before so I know how unreliable they can be. I do drive it now and I LOVE it but my red dash light stays on while the engine is running. I went and got my free parts car the other day and I should have plenty of parts to create a real nice roadster.
Steve

Tim_80B

Hi Steve,

Free car, free parts car...and lots of free advice here. You've got it made.

I did the Ford Fiesta Alt. swap on my 80 when my ignition light started to glow continually. Nice and simple bolt on. It may be overkill but I have found that Kopr Shield from Eastwood is a great way to keep those grounds solid.

Welcome aboard!

Tim

OP
S

spankyway

What year Fiesta alternator is that? I read about this conversion some where but cannot remember what year. I am going to check my alternator, if it is bad I will probably do the conversion.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
1980 ... and it's the Bosche alternator. If there's any doubt or if the clerk asks ya, make sure you get the Bosche unit, even if it's reman'ed. I put one on my car last year, have been loving it ever since /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif