• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hello from Las Vegas, NV in a 1960 MGA Roadster

Bugleditor

Freshman Member
Country flag
After having garaged a friend's 1960 MGA Roadster for seven or eight years, we finally bought it. I practically grew up in a service (gas) station in the 1960s, which my father owned. I limited myself to washing windows. My younger brother pumped the gas and later went on to teach material science (auto shop, to us older folks). Alas, the mechanical inclination was something I was never too interested in, and now find myself wishing I had paid a bit more attention.

My husband and I, enjoy driving the MGA but when adding up the receipts from our local "atomic age" garage, realized we spent more in repair bills than the car was worth -- at least monetarily. I've just found that all the things which I paid dearly to have fixed, really aren't fixed, so I find myself wanting to finally get my hands dirty. My next project will be to borrow back some service ramps (which I had given away), and figure out how to install seat belts. Then, I'm going to replace the fuel-sending unit gasket and the oil filter gasket. Hopefully, that'll keep my garage floor cleaner.

We did spring for a fuel injection system (rather than the dual carburetors), changed the wiring harness, and converted the car to 12 volts with an alternator. I have learned my lesson and any of the next, major upgrades will involve my brother, round-trip airline tickets for him and his wife, and perhaps a few shows on the Las Vegas Strip. Sadly, had I done that before blowing up my budget at "molecular motors," I would have saved at least $15-20k.

Anyway, that's all behind me. I love driving this car. We're staying off the highway until I get seatbelts installed, but it's so fun to take for weekend breakfasts, a quick jaunt to the supermarket, and the occasional, quick errand around town. The appreciative glances and comments, make me wish I had bought it long ago, while it was just garaged in an extra space at my home.

I have one of the Morris Garage "Safety Fast" signs and plan to install it on the garage door, as quickly as I get the seatbelts done.

Attachments

• MESSAGE_FT_Resized_20200510_104043.jpeg
    MESSAGE_FT_Resized_20200510_104043.jpeg
    762.6 KB · Views: 23
  • MESSAGE_FT_Resized_20200510_104057.jpeg
    MESSAGE_FT_Resized_20200510_104057.jpeg
    857.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Rob in 1960 MGA for Realtor site.jpg
    Rob in 1960 MGA for Realtor site.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 23

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
welcome - great car and a great story! You are in the right place for advice and it is a great car to get your hands dirty on. Many of us have experiences of repairs not really being repairs until we do it ourselves.

:cheers:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Welcome to the British Car Forum. Beautiful car!