• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Hello from a Newbie MGB owner...

Rob_P

Jedi Trainee
Hello Everyone!
I just tried to post a long winded introduction, and my browser crashed, so that should teach me to keep this short!

Recently I sold off all of my toys (1998 Triumph Thunderbird Sport, 1956 Porsche Speedster Replica) and found that i missed having them.
So while scanning local eBay auctions for convertibles from the 60's and 70's i came across this auction for a 75 MGB that was ending in 10 minutes. Reserve was not met and the high bid was kind of low, so I through a number out there for fun and would you believe it!?! I was the high bidder and reserve was met. I had not done any of the due diligence prior to bidding, and didn't even have a chance to see the car first, even though it was only 50 miles away. (this apparent abnormal behavior is actually normal for me!)

So here i am, with a 90% completed (ha, more like 90% half done) 1976 (not 75) MGB.

Have a look at the completed auction

For my kit car, forums were one of the most important tools i could have had, not to mention the fun of like minded freaks.

Looking forward to picking your brains in the near future.

Rob

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Nice pickens.

Looks like you got yourself a nice example of the marque. You'll want to replace the steering rack gaiters ASAP as it appears the drivers' side is shot for sure. Did the Fiero seats come with it?

Join NAMGBR and a local club!

OP
Rob_P

Rob_P

Jedi Trainee
Thanks,
Actually, the add stated that the car would come with the choice of seats, i wanted the black seats with the white piping. He ended up not having those seats, and i want a black interior, and not crazy about the look of the "newer" seats.(upon closer inspection, they were from a Miata, not a fiero)

So i took the car with the ratty seats that were in it, and we knocked the prize dowm about three bills.

I have most of the parts to complete the car, but the stuff i have in boxes doesn't look so hot, so i will be looking at new seats, door panels, carpets and possibly/eventually, center consoles and steering wheels.

Rob

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tony is our Moss parts guy.

He does not like to advertise here but here is his site. Good prices, good service, can I say more. And I have no monitary intrest here.

https://www.theautoist.com/

Tim_80B

Good instincts - looks like a nice car. They all have some "character" and that will help reveal her name (all in good time). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Welcome to the BCF. Nice looking 76.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Welcome here,

Looks like you got a good deal.

clyderedmond

Hi, looks like overall you got a fair price. I am new here myself and also went nuts and bought one off of ebay. Price was about the same but there are some issues that I intend to have done professionally. Seller claimed "no visible rust" which is true enough - one must actually get down and look under it to see the demon at work. In any case it is mechanically sound and will be a good driver. I wish you the best.
Cheers,
-Mike

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
I think I would have thrown due diligence and 3k on it too, that is a very nice B. Did it come with air cleaners?

R6MGS

Yoda
Loooks like a good car...at a good price...Feel free at ask about anything that might come up...You'll never know if you don't ask.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, Rob! Looks like an equitable deal to me.

BTW: You're on the wrong side of the bay, lad!

....I'm over in Brandon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OP
Rob_P

Rob_P

Jedi Trainee
Wow, you guys really now how to make someone feel welcome, Thanks!

Baz, it came with round air cleaner housing, but no filters. they are not in the best of shape, so i will probably put new ones on. something like these perhaps.

Hey Doc, some might say that you are on the wrong side of the bay /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Give me some time and this car may actually make it to brandon! I had to tow it to get it home from Sarasota!

Let me know if you find any roads that are not flat or straight, i have been searching for them since i moved here 5 years ago!

Thanks!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
mehheh... Tell me that after the next good blow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

I know of some (roads) with kinks, but I miss the western Pennsylvania twisty-windy highways for sure... we'll exchange info soon and p'raps arrange to get together.

BTW: This is THE most active, helpful, friendly forum on the 'net. As has been said before: "Sometimes you get an answer before you even know to post the question!" These good folk are very responsive and more-than willing to share their hard-won knowledge with any and all not a'feard to ask. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

mattmacklind3

Jedi Hopeful
Nice buy, don't you love Ebay? I got mine off Ebay, too!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Looka like a good platform for a daily driver - not much left to do to finish it....lemme know if I can help!

OP
Rob_P

Rob_P

Jedi Trainee
Hi Tony, I sent you a note, came from rpastor1 at tampabay....

the small stuff first, the interior soon.

Thanks again everyone, i am really excited for this project, I had my first foray into British wiring.
Sometime after i was puttering around the neighborhood, i turned the key off and the car kept running. Now i have had this happen to me before, do to a bad ground (am i supposed to say earth now?!?)
come to find out it is only happening when the light switch is on.
This isn't bothering me yet since none of the lights are plugged in. the paint job is very recent, so many of the pieces have not been put all the way back.

I have discovered looking through my box of pieces, that anything not on the car is not on the car for a reason, mostly being that it's junk.

Except for the gaiters! i do have new ones of those which will be going on soon.

Thanks again,
Rob