• NOTICE: This "Forum Navigation Questions" forum is only for asking questions related to navigating this web site. DO NOT post car-related questions here., For car-related questions, use the appropriate marque-related forum.
  • The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

HEIC format

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I recently purchased a new iPhone. Instead of .jpeg photos are now .heic format. The forum does not accept the new apple format for uploading photos so I have to convert to .jpg.
Is there any other way to be able to post the new .heic photos?

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Well, this is interesting... The attached pictures was an .HEIC format and I uploaded in from my iMac (not from my phone). Seems once it is uploaded it was converted to a .jpg. Not sure if that conversion was done by my computer, or if the forum software did that, but this picture I just took was uploaded as .HEIC. Are you trying to upload from your phone or a computer?

tempImageuYc7NT.jpg

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I was attempting to upload from my iPhone directly to the forum. In order to post on the forum I airdropped the heic photo to my Mac and then converted to jpg before posting from my Mac.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I took this pic today with my iPhone. Airdropped it to my Mac and it's showing on my Mac as a .heic file.
The original .heic pic was 3.2 megs so I reduced the size to 2.1 megs. After I reduced the original .heic image the file was changed to .heif.
I uploaded the file and it shows as a .heic file but the photo does not show up.

Attachments

• IMG_0016.HEIC
    2.1 MB · Views: 108

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Are you adding it as an attachment (clicking the "attach files" button) or clicking on the insert image icon and uploading it as an image inserted in the post? There is a difference.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hmmmmm..... if you click on the attachment above it downloads the image and I can view it as a .heic pic. Very strange.
Can you see the pic?

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Are you adding it as an attachment (clicking the "attach files" button) or clicking on the insert image icon and uploading it as an image inserted in the post? There is a difference.
I used the "Attach files" button in the lower left of the posting box.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I used the "Attach files" button in the lower left of the posting box.
I can click on it and download, then look at it on my comouter. But that's not how you're supposed to post images in a post. Rather than attaching it as a file - add it as an inline image. Up in the edit tool bar, click on the "Insert Image," then either drag and drop the image to the little box that pops up or click the box and navigate to the picture.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I can click on it and download, then look at it on my comouter. But that's not how you're supposed to post images in a post. Rather than attaching it as a file - add it as an inline image. Up in the edit tool bar, click on the "Insert Image," then either drag and drop the image to the little box that pops up or click the box and navigate to the picture.
Going to try that now....

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OK Bas... I used the insert image and as you can see it appears below.
What is the max size pic that you can post on the forum? I just got a new iPhone 13 and the pics are a lot bigger. Maybe there's a setting I can change in my phone... will look. Thanks for your help.

tempImage2EF0wt.jpg

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well, this is interesting... The attached pictures was an .HEIC format and I uploaded in from my iMac (not from my phone). Seems once it is uploaded it was converted to a .jpg. Not sure if that conversion was done by my computer, or if the forum software did that, but this picture I just took was uploaded as .HEIC. Are you trying to upload from your phone or a computer?
You are right.... the photo I posted as a .heic shows up on the forum as a .jpg.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I think the file size limit is 4mb. When you upload from an iPhone you can select what size to upload. This picture was uploaded as β€œlarge” which was about 750kb (full size was 5.4mb). Also, depending on the orientation of your phone when you took the picture, it may turn the picture 90deg like this picture. That’s another reason it’s better to airdrop to the computer and upload from there.
9141CFF0-C831-480E-8313-4B4E3E43D475.jpeg

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I think the file size limit is 4mb. When you upload from an iPhone you can select what size to upload. This picture was uploaded as β€œlarge” which was about 750kb (full size was 5.4mb). Also, depending on the orientation of your phone when you took the picture, it may turn the picture 90deg like this picture. That’s another reason it’s better to airdrop to the computer and upload from there.
View attachment 73707
Thanks for all your help and tips.... I'll use them when posting pics on the forum.