• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Heater motor or switch problem

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The fan motor in my heater worked nicely all summer but naturally chose to crap out once cooler weather arrived a few days ago and I'd like some advice from those 100 drivers who have previously removed/remounted their heaters.

I have verified that power is getting to the heater lead from the fusebox I installed in the engine compartment, and the green wire disappears into and through the firewall, apparently intact Without disassembling the heater I cannot access the rheostat switch to trace whether it or the motor is the issue and before I pop off the three spring clips that seem to hold the heater faceplate to the rear plate I would like to know that doing so will allow me to get to the heater's innards.

Also I would appreciate learning whether reassembly is the reverse of disassembly as those clips, esp. the one at the 12:00 o'clock position, do not look like they will be easy to get back into place with the heater mounted to the firewall, which leads me to my last question: How is the heater unit fixed to and removed from the car should this become necessary? Aside from one screw going through an ell-bracket at the top of the faceplate I see no other fasteners projecting through the firewall.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
About an hour ago I popped the spring clips off of the heater face-plate which gave me access to the back of the rheostat switch. I first verified that there was power to the switch and then jumped across the two posts with a screwdriver. The heater motor came on full blast, telling me that the problem was in the switch, which had felt a bit odd when I initially encountered the problem a few days ago as the "detent-like feel" when turning the fan on was missing. Though I assumed I had identified the problem as being in the switch I nevertheless turned the control knob just to see how it felt and--wonder of wonders--the fan motor immediately came on. What's more it responded perfectly to the rheostat, going from full blast to low just as it always had.

I am 100% certain that I had the ignition switch on and the heater power lead connected with an intact fuse and I can only say that this is a typical Healey deal, and now that the car has my attention I am sure that should I simply close the heater up the switch will probably act up at some point in the future. I'm going to investigate whether I can source a replacement switch, either Lucas or not. I'll also take the opportunity to repaint the front plate in black crackle and I am going to close off the top opening that supplies heated air to the two vents in back of the windshield, which seems like a waste of hot air.

Thanks all for your patience and advise and I hope this gives some of you who have experienced similar situations a laugh.