• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Healey BJ8 failed MOT in 1979 - Almost restored Aug 2019!

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Hi basil.... If I edit my original post and save it does everybody who's seen it already get an update?

No, everyone who's seen it won't get any sort of notice or update, but if they visit the thread again of course they will see your changes.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Thanks .... I guess it was my ego that hoped for followers...I look forward to observers comments

Well, if someone has replied to this thread, then they will be subscribed and will get notices that there are new replies in this thread (until such time as they unsubscribe).

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
My first show was a trailer arrival. It is good for people to see what goes into getting these cars back on the road.

David.
First show.jpg

A SAGA OF DEDICATION WITH FRIENDS OVER 40 YEARS

17 August... So...oil pressure problem ....installed new oil strainer and sump. still no oil pressure so confused but went back to the friend who had the restoration before me and he felt he may have put the modification to the oil filter 180ยฐ out I checked that and he had .. soon as I changed it back oil pressure fantastic! Fired up at last. haven't heard that sound 4 years 40 years what a wonderful engine noise. there is huge classic/vintage car festival about 1600 cars this bank holiday Monday coming and mixture of loads of healeys, all the British cars American classics, Rollers all sorts of things. This was my original target date to show the car fully completed. I have an exhibitors pass for the day so now i intend taking it down there on a trailer. I think it would make a nice display and I would benefit from talking to like-minded people about the actual car itself so that I can move on with good ideas and tips to move forward.

Anyone know how to rewire the horn push and indicator? Not sure how to separate the bits to un solder the wires and replace.

More anon.....

OP
Cutrog1

Cutrog1

Country flag
Didn't make the pershore show .... Couldn't get a trailer.

Managed to strip, rewire and reinstall horn push. What a test of manual dexterity!!!

Just replaced both front brake calipers because of my inability to remove and replace corroded bleeders!. Damaged the casting on one of them! Found a very good price of ยฃ69 each!! New! So bought two so as to ensure good balance. The flexipipes and copper pipes needed clearing after years of sitting unused. All ok now.

Next job is sorting charging issues. Dynamo and control boxes to be tested...

OP
Cutrog1

Cutrog1

Country flag
26th Sep 2019...

Charging sorted! Checked output from dynamo....14 to 15 volts.....ok. Although I knew the regulator box had been ok 40 years ago I adventured in to opening up the unit. Carefully cleaned four sets of points. Interesting that buffing up still failed to succeed but after cleaning with meths, charging is restored. The joy of seeing the charging light going out !!!
Equally the sense of achievement using my new found electric skills.... It prompted me to open up the traffic indicator control box and carry out similar action. Again, success! Indicators working. Now only left with no tacho operation. Likely to take for testing.

So.... Engine good, electrics ok, brakes done... Allows me to put the front shroud on at last. This feels like a very significant step towards completing the restoration.

The shroud settled down very well the only question was the closeness of the the inside of the bonnet opening to the carburettor air intakes. A few spacers inserted on the support struts etc seems to have done the trick. I continued to have fantastic telephone support from Bill Rawlings and JME restorers as to to the worries I had about misalignment. They confirmed again that as with any old car, stripping down and rebuilding will present such problems. At this stage I had been following in reverse the Haynes manual instructions for removing the shroud and was now at the point of installing the grill. I chose not to finally fix or rivet the shroud until I had the grill installed. Horrendous arrangement of three pieces of chrome, nuts and bolts etc etc caused huge frustration with the grill arrangement. In the end I decided to lift the shroud off and install the grill on it before refitting to the body. Much easier and I see no issues in the future for having done so....see following video!!!!

.more anon...

OP
Cutrog1

Cutrog1

Country flag
27th September 2019

.... What a great moment!! Today at 3am (yes ..3am) I have fitted the windscreen wipers! Yes, I know, it doesn't seem so epic, but it follows two days of complete rebuild of windscreen assembly and its final installation.! One of the trickiest jobs I have experienced so far. Haynes manual followed to a letter, spacers bought for the support struts to body fitting. Sealant applied. Almost overlooked the attachment to the centre bracket.... I thought the centre hole in the shroud was of no use until JME restorers told me about the rubber insert including its thread for taking a centre fixing bolt was available from head4healeys. This was an item that was probably in the pile of bits I collected with the
car way back in December 2018.... and probably threw away!!

Now at a point where my healey, after 40 years labour of love, only needs two wings and two doors fitted.!! The paintwork is already done and I've invested in all new bits for both doors, although both windows are salvaged.

Hey!! What is in Coca-Cola that brings rusty chrome back to perfect?!
Great tip given to me by ANOTHER new found friend who happened in to my garage today.

....more anon...

OP
Cutrog1

Cutrog1

Country flag
Hi David....thanks for your earlier interest. Not sure if you have kept up to date with my saga, nor if you would wish to, but just letting you know I update the original document on a regular basis if you want keep up. The title has changed only in the date ... Now showing "October 2019"

OP
Cutrog1

Cutrog1

Country flag
Hi ....thanks for your earlier interest. Not sure if you have kept up to date with my saga, nor if you would wish to, but just letting you know I update the original document on a regular basis if you want keep up. The title has changed only in the date ... Now showing "October 2019"

OP
Cutrog1

Cutrog1

Country flag
Hi Tim .....thanks for your earlier interest. Not sure if you have kept up to date with my saga, nor if you would wish to, but just letting you know I update the original document on a regular basis if you want keep up. The title has changed only in the date ... Now showing "October 2019"

OP
Cutrog1

Cutrog1

Country flag
Hi D ..thanks for your earlier interest. Not sure if you have kept up to date with my saga, nor if you would wish to, but just letting you know I update the original document on a regular basis if you want keep up. The title has changed only in the date ... Now showing "October 2019"

OP
Cutrog1

Cutrog1

Country flag
Hello again...my saga continues and therefore needs an update to its title. (2019? Now 2020) How do I do this please?

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Work looks good, but you need to move to the Healey forum section, we are on introduction forum. You will find a lot more followers and help on Healey forum. Welcome aboard.

OP
Cutrog1

Cutrog1

Country flag
Hi Basil.... My posts are somewhat tangled and I would like to delete them and start afresh.. can I...and how please?