• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Head Gasket blown twice

OP
A

austin10_4

HERE'S THE VROOOOOM POST!!
Finally! Shes going again!!! Firstly, thanks to you all for the encouragement and tips. Much appreciated.

So, heres how i overcame the stud problem. It was not possible for me to replace the stud before the next event the car is due to go to, so..
I drilled a hole in the dynamo cradle and placed the new nut so as to sit below the stripped threads, this will hold until i can replace the stud!

Drilling hole

Drilled hole

So, shes passed her initial 15 minutes of running the new gasket and waiting for her next test, the ride out!

Here's a couple of pictures i took for keepsake.
reassembled engine

and back in her home... for now

Thankyou all very much, now just waiting to get the gasket past the dreaded 130 miles, and probaly 200 before i can let these past few weeks fizzle away!
Ill update as necessary!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
heheee. A well engineer'd bodge! Love it.

Fingers crossed here for the 200 mile barrier...

...BTW: Those hands could pass for MINE. P'raps we're long-lost cousins!?! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

My Dremel's older tho. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
IMO, a machinist's straight edge isn't really necessary; an ordinarly carpenter's square will do. If you do find a low spot, recheck with a different part of the square, just in case you get one that isn't straight (but mine is to .001").

Also, .002" isn't necessarily bad, as long as the surface is smooth, IMO. If it's a long bow from one end to the other, and only .002", that's probably not your problem.

Easy test for stretched head studs : take a new, ordinary nut and spin it down the (clean) threads. Should go easily all the way to the bottom. If not, the threads are distorted and the stud must be replaced.

I agree, 30 ftlb sounds way low. But I'm no Austin mechanic.

OP
A

austin10_4

i managed to get it to 35ftlb but i know what ya mean. Also, after what happened with that stud pulling up to 30, theres no way im risking going any further for a bit!!

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
austin10_4 said:
Oh Dear, Oh dear, Oh dear! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif

Just tightened the head up slowly to 28 on all the studs and pulling up to 30lb stripped number 5 dynamo stud /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Ouch, same thing happened to me last week. I was tightening up the head nuts on the Herald, and at 30ft lbs one just suddenly went soft. Fortunately, the stud came out of the head easily, but now I am waiting for new head nuts to arrive by mail.

I don't quite understand why it happened I threaded the nut on down to the head by hand, and there was no resistance but so it goes. Supplier tells me there in no known quality issue with the batch of nuts.

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
You would get an approximate notion of the correct torque from the size of the fastening hardware-if only 30lbs. they would not need to use large diameter studs and big nuts. Hard to tell from the pictures but looks fairly slender comparing with the valve diameters.

Simon.

mikespain

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
just a thought/theory on your stripped thread-did the thread strip on the nutor the stud?from the fotos it looks(could be the angle )as though the stud does not protrude enough through the dynamo mount ,as the amount the nut has been countersunk into the support there seems still not much thread protruding above the nut.was the nut fully on the stud when it stripped cause if not that could be the reason it stripped.looking at the job finished foto it seems strange that being new studs there are variations in the amount of stud showing above the nuts I would have thought that the protrusion would be more or less the same on each one unless the studs are of different lengths and one of the longer ones should have been where the dynamo mount is bolted on-as I say just an idea

OP
A

austin10_4

mikespain said:
just a thought/theory on your stripped thread-did the thread strip on the nutor the stud?from the fotos it looks(could be the angle )as though the stud does not protrude enough through the dynamo mount ,as the amount the nut has been countersunk into the support there seems still not much thread protruding above the nut.was the nut fully on the stud when it stripped cause if not that could be the reason it stripped.looking at the job finished foto it seems strange that being new studs there are variations in the amount of stud showing above the nuts I would have thought that the protrusion would be more or less the same on each one unless the studs are of different lengths and one of the longer ones should have been where the dynamo mount is bolted on-as I say just an idea

hi, the studs are longer in places, because a)dynamo studs are longer, and b) the ones on the opposite side of the carbeurettor are longer for some reason. not quite sure why but thats how it was buily by mr henry austin! then nut was firlmy on the stud yes, about halfway between the top and pressing down onto the head. Taking her out for a spin later to see how she goes!

OP
A

austin10_4

Just sucessfully completed 10 miles in her! went with out any problem, and started remarkably well, so i think changing the coil has helped, hopefully! I even got the trafficators going again, used them sucessfully aswell! Been a good start for, many more please!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Grand news!

OP
A

austin10_4

well, shes just completed her 50 mile stage without any hitches, seems to be running really well (touch wood) and accelerates much better without being sluggish at all! Ignition problem seems to be fixed also. Check the torque yield tonight and only had to tighten the dynamo studs, so here comes the big test, trying to break the 130 mark!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I think your head gasket dilemma is history. Past tense. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

OP
A

austin10_4

Just completed the 100 miles stage!! Nuts were all tight at 38pl/ft. Looking good thus far but the next 50 are CRUCIAL. If it blows again this time..........

Gulp

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
STOP THAT!! Quit hittin' us with them negative waves!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

...It'll be FINE in th' next 50 miles. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

Faith, babee. Faith.

OP
A

austin10_4

130!!!! plus a little bit more! So, i have broken the barrier and now am trying to do as many as possible. No problems as yet, so looking good! Next Update, 200 miles

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
If it lasted 100 miles it'll do 100K. You should be well rid of the problem! WOOHOO!!

OP
A

austin10_4

Done it! Completed 200 miles, no nut movement at all when tightening. Looks hopeful. Now, i would like to say, seriously how grateful for all the help you have all provided, it really is appreciated, but i feel i cannot close this topic without a special thanks to DrEntropy, for all your encouragement and advice. Cheers Buddy /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Awww, shucks. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

All I did was cheer ya on. YOU had to endure the frustration. Glad of the report that all seems well. Enjoy!

OP
A

austin10_4

Hey guys, just thought i would let you know the latest!

I have completed 500 miles in the austin! No gasket problems so thats a relief!! Only one minor problem with the bodywork but thats nice and easy to repair!

So, once again thankyou so much for all the valuable help you provided me with...if i ever meet Dr Entropy, ill buy him a pint /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Cheers Guys
Andy