• Hey Guest!
    Yoda says: A FREE resource for the Little British Car community BCF is. Support us with an account upgrade, not many will (less than 1%) "Require" you to pay to play we don't, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade you should. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Seeing this UGLY banner, you won't)
Tips
Tips

Hardura

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Has anyone purchased bulk Hardura to make floor coverings to replicate the originals in a Bugeye? There seem to be two patterns available, embossed and ribbed...which would be correct?
Thanks, Rut

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-127-hardura.aspx

Rut, I've heard "Hardura" referred to many times but haven't really figured out exactly what it is. Can someone enlighten me?? Where is it used.

Kurt.

Kurt,
It was the original floor covering on MK1 Sprites and is virtually unobtanium! I have a carpet set for a MK2 Sprite that I was planning to use, but I would really like to go original. I also have a set of period Amco rubber mats that I'll use and I'd really like to find a rubber crossmember cover if the Hardura doesn't work out.
Rut

I have begun to replace floor covering in BE with fine ribbed floor mat material to get closer to original. Have completed under seats and transmission tunnel. Starting to work on cross member covers next. Also used this material in doors. Black is the only color available, but it goes well with the Amco mats in the foot wells.

tunnel1.jpgtunnel2.jpg

Hardura is the hard-ish textured vinyl covering used on the jump seat and rear inner wheel arches in the Sprite/Midget. I have never, ever hear that term used to when referring to the rubber floor mats and tunnel covering. I believe that to be incorrect. The floor mats and tunnel cover are rubber, plain and simple. The original materials are nothing alike.

Re-reading page 25 of Horler says that the tunnel cover and floor covering were indeed thin ribbed rubber as Gerard stated. The bulkhead, rear wheel wells and rear deck were covered with Hardura which is available...I dissremembered the tunnel and floor covering material.
Thanks, Rut

Rut,

Buyeye Guy is listing on his site an alternative to original floor covering which evidently got accepted by judges to get him to a 100 Point Concours Rating for his BE. I know nothing else about what this looks like or how it will stand up. YMMV on that one. For me, nice cushy Red Carpet is going in Bugsy.

Jim,
Thanks, I vaguely remember a posting about this and that may be where I got the Hardura on the tunnel idea. This is a little pricey and I may use the carpet set I got from AH Spares in the time being and order some bulk Hardura and fool around with it later.
Rut

Hi Rut,

I purchased the hardura trunk mat, wheel arch and rear deck pieces for my Bugeye from AH Spares. It is definitely the smooth material, not ribbed. I think there is a US source for this, I'll see if I can find it.

I also agree with Gerard, that the tunnel was a thinner ribbed rubber, now rare as hen's teeth in used condition. On teh floor Mats, I have seen foot well rubber mats and the section in front of seats in rubber, but I don't think the cross rails were covered. Never seen any pics with that covered in ribbed rubber, only the aluminum covers or "modern" carpet.

Cheers
Lew

Thanks, folks....I feel enlightened!
On the subject of floor treatment I always liked the Amco ribbed aluminum cross member covers that are being reproduced now and the Amco rubber mats as well. That's my floor treatment....far more durable and good looking for far longer than carpet. For foot room I never installed the foot well carpet...just the Amco rubber mats.

Kurt

Original rubber floor mats were formed to be integrated as one piece, covering the raised rails, both across, and notched for the rail that runs longitudinally under the seats, and form fitted to the wells. I remember them being formed over the seat rails too, but the book shows them notched. When I bought my first Bugeye in March of 1968, they were still original to the car, though not the best in shape. In today's world, you never would have tossed them like I did back then... who knew... :wink-new:

I do have an original black tunnel cover now though that is in quite good shape.

To confirm my memory, I checked Bugeye Service Parts List; witness scanned plate attached.

Service Parts List Bugeye PLT RE 2.jpeg

Hi Rut,

I purchased the hardura trunk mat, wheel arch and rear deck pieces for my Bugeye from AH Spares. It is definitely the smooth material, not ribbed. I think there is a US source for this, I'll see if I can find it.

I also agree with Gerard, that the tunnel was a thinner ribbed rubber, now rare as hen's teeth in used condition. On teh floor Mats, I have seen foot well rubber mats and the section in front of seats in rubber, but I don't think the cross rails were covered. Never seen any pics with that covered in ribbed rubber, only the aluminum covers or "modern" carpet.

Cheers
Lew

I just got a good price for my first-born and ordered a pile of stuff from AH Spares, including their carpet kit.
I had just assumed that it would match the original requirements. Ah, well.
I also ordered their 'rubber liner - door': how doth one best install it? I dunno if it comes with some sort of magic adhesive or not, and would appreciate some thoughts. Thanks.

Well, gosh-darn! Asked my question regards adhesives and then started wandering down the threads, and found a discussion right there. Apologies, and kindly ignore my notes. Thanks

I just got a good price for my first-born and ordered a pile of stuff from AH Spares, including their carpet kit.
I had just assumed that it would match the original requirements. Ah, well.
I also ordered their 'rubber liner - door': how doth one best install it? I dunno if it comes with some sort of magic adhesive or not, and would appreciate some thoughts. Thanks.

Cool! I want to get rid of my first born too - can you pass on the contact info for the buyer or was it a one off?

Thanks again everyone! Next question regarding rubber coverings...my sills have mounting holes for something on each end and I don't know what was there before. I would also like to cover the crossmember with something other than carpet since that area takes some abuse. I know about the aluminum covers, but I would prefer rubber for this application as well.
Rut

I bought rubber covers from Bugeye Guy for about $30 including shipping. The covers go over the crossmembers in front of the seats and are used to protect the carpeting underneath. they are cut to fit. Check out his website under accessories.

I bought rubber covers from Bugeye Guy for about $30 including shipping. The covers go over the crossmembers in front of the seats and are used to protect the carpeting underneath. they are cut to fit. Check out his website under accessories.

I'm not aware of anything that ever went in the holes. I think they are strictly for venting and moisture. Coverings were held in place with snaps.

Used in the boot. Embossed not ribbed. Available in bulk from Heritage Trim.

Last edited: