• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Had a Caterham day

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
My best friend (fifty years now) has a LHD Caterham 7, got it over a deade ago. The engine is a Kent block with a twin-cam Weber head. He's always had an issue with the throttle not returning all the way back to idle position. Had it to a shop up in Jax (where the guy has built a BUNCH of them) and they couldn't/didn't sort it. He trailered it up here from his place a couple hours south so we could try to solve the problem. Put a proper OEM Lotus return spring in it from my supplies, didn't totally fix the return issue. Pedal box next, the arc made by the pedal arm made a severe bend in the inner cable at the point where it met the outer's connection. 'MacGyvered' a 3/4" extension to it and the angle was straightened out, cable straight at full off position but that still didn't see fully closed throttle blades. Someplace in the cable there's enough friction to keep the spring from completely closing the blades. Light machine oil down the cable length didn't help. Now will have to find a replacement cable, as when the cable is out of the equation the spring works as designed. May try a home made cable using a bicycle brake one modified to fit. Perplexing! A one hour job turned into an all day head scratching session, didn't make it right but didn't make it worse at least! "Better" but not right.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
didn't make it right but didn't make it worse at least! "Better" but not right.
That's always an important part of fixing vehicles.

I'm guessing from the way you've described it, that the cable itself probably has a kink in it from the previous bend made by the pedal arc.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Not really certain. Won't know until we replace the cable for confirmation, that likely will have to wait. He's going to spend the summer months with family "up north", come back in the fall.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Can you replace the cable with a straight cable with no outer housing?

Nope.The sheath is what holds the tension & adjustment.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Caveman fabrication. The gas pedal in the vise, 8mm bolt threaded into the top end and hole for the cable drilled. Cutting a slit in the bolt here, to allow cable insertion. Note the "fleurettes" at the ends of some sparks? ASTM/ASME spark test!

Sparktest.jpg

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
He's always had an issue with the throttle not returning all the way back to idle position.

Let me just say that I have always admired the Lotus 7 - and it's successors. Never quite have the courage to buy one (never mind funds), similar with a FF5 cobra kit, as I fear they may be less fun after 30 minutes of driving.

But I gotta ask, did your friend ever use that line to get out of a speeding ticket? "I swear officer, I wanted to slow down, but my car won't let me!"

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Let me just say that I have always admired the Lotus 7 - and it's successors. Never quite have the courage to buy one (never mind funds), similar with a FF5 cobra kit, as I fear they may be less fun after 30 minutes of driving.

But I gotta ask, did your friend ever use that line to get out of a speeding ticket? "I swear officer, I wanted to slow down, but my car won't let me!"

This example was assembled by a retired Air Force officer, it was fairly well done. Second owner purchased it on a whim, his wife would NOT allow him to keep it. To be somewhat kind, she was a "plus size" person and could not get into the thing... :eek:

My pal is the third owner. It did make a round trip of 300 miles on the Interstate from his place to mine and back a few years ago. Not sure if he's had opportunity to use the excuse, no report or admission anyway. ;)