• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Growing Old

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
1693189703304.png

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
All except home delivered milk.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I actually owned a Hudson at one time and I barely remember block ice being delivered for our ICE box.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I missed the icebox, but I remember the story. My Dad thought we should get a "fridge". My Mom said no, she wanted the whole refrigerator.

Boone's Farm was relatively recent. Thunderbird was another "budget" wine. "What's the bird? Thunderbird! What's the price? 25 twice."

We still have a drive-in movie theater (I think).

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Visited our relatives out on the Island who were a block away from the Long Island Railroad tracks.
We enjoyed seeing the steam locomotives and put pennies on the tracks.
Engineers blew their whistles if we pulled our arms up and down.
The desiels were a novelty for a short time, but eventually we saw they had no soul.

GregW

Yoda
Country flag
I'm too young for milk delivery. We did have a Charles Chips truck that brought us a big tin of chips though. I wonder how widespread that was.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
All except two: Never heard of Black Jack gum and not sure about Boone’s farm (booze?)
All over Jacksonville NC while I was in the Marines in 69-71. Bud from Michigan made it his staple weekend drink, reminded him of home. Alson, had the Coffee Man in a red truck brought all sorts of stuff to the house.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
We had a milk man along with a bread man delivery not only with bread but lots of other goodies every day. The milk bottles had cardboard caps that we would save, don't ask me why, I think we played some sort of a game with them.

Oh yea, Basil, Black Jack gum and others! 😍
nostalga-gum.jpg

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Dugans used to deliver milk and bread in the NY area.
IMG_2560.jpeg

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
Boone's Farm was a sweet wine used primarily in hookah pipes. Couldn't drink it after. But you couldn't drink it before either. Blackjack was a licorice gum. Charles chips were in my neighborhood in Miami, Fl. There were only routes where a franchisee wanted to operate.
Bob

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
At my grandparents, we had a visiting huxter produce truck that made weekly stops...Chevrolet called the vehicle a "canopy express".

ftf20163.jpg

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
Since we are off the list, when I was 3 1/2 or so, I remember being in West Aliquippa Pa at my Grandma's house. There was an old guy in an old truck with caged chickens. He would sell you a live chicken and dressed it for you. Weird that I remember that from that stage of my life
Bob