• Hey Guest!
    British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!

    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)

Gordon Johncock passed away at age 90

Brooklands

Yoda
Silver
Offline
In a rarity for IndyCar racers of the era, two time Indy 500 winner Gordon Johncock died at home on September 28. When he started racing in the USAC champ car circuit in 1964, many of the drivers did not survive their careers.
I got to meet Gordon a number of times when I was working the pits at Pocono Raceway in the mid 70s, and he was always gracious, and did not show any resentment to the intrusions by this young photographer. He was a good guy.
This is a photo I took of Johncock in conversation with George Bignotti.
 

Attachments

  • 1974Schaefer500Pocono011_GeorgeBignottiGordonJohncock-1 copy.jpg
    1974Schaefer500Pocono011_GeorgeBignottiGordonJohncock-1 copy.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 15
I believe the third person in the photo is Sonny Meyer (Louis Meyer Jr) - engine builder. But I could be wrong.
 
Back
Top