• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Goodwood Revival - Freddie March Memorial Trophy Race

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Did anyone enjoy the Goodwood Revival as I did a few weeks back? A spectacular event with the type of vintage racing you don't often see, especially in the states. Karsten Le Blanc ran a wonderful race in his 100S, battling Maseratis S300, Jaguars C types, Ferraris, etc. He told he after the race the alternator failed, had he not turned his head lights on, he would have finished in good shape.

OP
dougie

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
This is the video I meant to post.

Guido36

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks for that Dougie - I grew up near Goodwood and spent every spare moment at the track as a kid in the early 60s. My late uncle bought the first AC Cobra in the UK and took me with him whenever he was racing it at Goodwood. He kept it up until his passing in 2004 and last raced it in 1999 at 79 years old! I got to be a gopher for a couple of the top teams - Maranello Concessionaires and John Coombs. So I lived first hand what the Revival is recreating on steroids! I got to revisit the Revival for the first time in over 50 years in 2015 when all six Daytona Cobras and Pete Brock were reunited. We had to postpone our trips in 2020 and this year but have rolled over for 2022.

For anyone who has not been, this is the world’s largest fancy dress party with everyone in period dress from the 1940s to the late 1960s - up to 100,000 attendees. The collection of original race cars is the biggest and most valuable in the world and the racing is in anger - no namby pamby pussyfooting around. The cars you see are the real deal and the whole atmosphere is electric. This is the ultimate bucket list destination for anyone who is into historic race cars with a side show of flying WW II combat aircraft. The Goodwood race circuit was developed on the WW II Royal Air Force fighter station of Westhampnett in 1946.

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
It was so many years ago that I don't remember if my first exposure to Goodwood was a TV show or a video.
At any rate, I was gobsmacked at the way these priceless cars were being raced, like what they were, RACE CARS.
I also remember an original GT40 getting pranged in a collision, thinking how can they even do that.
That kind of competition doesn't happen today in the US, they have 'rules' against it.
It is criminal not to race racecars like they were built to do.

OP
dougie

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

I agree, as my panel man says, "its's only metal, it can be fixed".....And yes, I've had to use his services a little too often.....;)