• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Goodparts Triple Carb Heat Shield

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
This is a first quality part, as all of Richard's designs always are. It weighs almost five pounds and is solid as a rock. Heavy gauge metal and great finish.

Just in time for spring installation.

Attachments

• 16246.jpg
    16246.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 462
  • 16247.jpg
    16247.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 456
  • 16248.jpg
    16248.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 470
  • 16249.jpg
    16249.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 446

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
to absorb the heat?

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Well speaking as one that designed their own heat shield.. (mainly because there are only three for four goofballs fool enough to install dual HS8's on a TR6), the shield needs to be a bit heafty to keep the vibration down. By the looks of it, my shield is about half the thickness of the RG's version and I also had to attach mine to the Ratco linkage brace to keep the vibations down.

The main difference between my design and the RG is that I'm using two layers of stainless with about an 1/8" of space in between. My carbs are now cool to the touch in the hottest of driving scenarios.

Pics of the brace mounting using the Ratco linkage:

2008-08-10_148.jpg

2008-08-10_146.jpg

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I would think that it would be to deflect, or, maybe as Bill said, absorb the heat

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Nice setup Shannon. I thought that either Joe Alexander or Richard told me that these would fit the SU's as well. Maybe the 6's, but probably not the 8's.

I may be wrong, especially since I have no idea what the face of an SU carb looks like where it mates to the intake manifold. If the gasket is the same as the ZSCD-175, then it should fit. If not, it probably won't.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Ah-Ha! That now explains the boring of the manifold by JP that you mentioned elsewhere.

Does the HS-6 have the 1.75" bore and same mounting pattern? Maybe those would work.

Now I know why your car runs so well. At least one of the reasons, that is.

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I think the Hs-6 would work. Same bold pattern I'm pretty sure.

However I think my next move (if I made another move that is) would be to fuel injection of some sort. I'm just trying to figure out the right way to do it.

-s

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Don't know what route I'd take to be honest. But I think it would be neat to start out with something similar to the Weber manifolds with 6 injectors... who knows? My only limits are my imagination and my budget... which is why I'm not doing it now.

:smile:

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
Paul, what is the notch for between the 1st and 2nd carbs? Linkage? I thought most or you with trips have your linkage set up between the 2nd and 3rd carb. Mine is set up between 1 and 2, this should work for me.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Bill,

My Ratco linkage is mounted between the two rear carbs, so depending how you refer to 1 and 2 it could be right or wrong to answer the number question.

The cut out looks like it will be right where I MIGHT need it based on the old (black engine) picture of my linkage below.

It gets confusing a bit, because the shield mounts against the carbs and going down and under them, so looking at it without knowing the function would seem confusing. I know that you have triples and know this, but for those who don't, that is the explanation.

Attachments

• 16254.jpg
    16254.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 376

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
Paul, your pics clearly show the cutout to be between the first and second carbs, that is, #1 is to the front.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I must be looking at it incorrectly, because I see it as between the two "rear" carbs. The top and second picture are a view showing the back of the shield, which will mount against the carbs (with the bottom tray going down under the carbs) and that would put the opening between the two carbs at the back of the engine, right? Turning that top picture view as it is shown, around 180 degrees and placing it against the carbs, between the air filters has to fit that way.

BTW, how did you make out with the fuel pump issue? Do you need anything?

swift6

Yoda
The photos are backwards to each other. The heat shield mounts to the face of the carbs (in between the carbs and the air filters) and wraps around underneath to the rear. The cutout is set for being between the middle and rear carbs (what I call the 2nd and 3rd carbs). BTW, mounting that heat-shield with individual air filters will be easy. Getting all nine bolts of the cold air box lined up with the heat-shield and then getting them all lined up with the gaskets in place and then up to the carbs was... less so. :wall:

As for the mounting differences between the SU and Zenith 1.75" carbs... They both mount to the manifolds with the same four bolt pattern. The faces of the carbs have a different bolt pattern though. Upside down to each other actually. You can use the stock air cleaner on an HS-6 conversion if you flip it 180 degrees so the air opening is in the rear. Not sure if the 2" carbs are different or not on the face from the 1.75". Been a while since I played with them.

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
Oops, I had better check my speed dial on my cell phone. I think I programmed in 119 instead of 911.

The new (Italian) fuel pump from TRF (less than 2 years old) is bleeding gas from the top bolt like an oozing sore. Very disappointed. Will have to get the car up in the air tonight to be able to choke off the gas line below the filter and start pulling all that out. I really think it is my fuel pump. Very suspect of the lever arm that rides on the cam. Will know soon enough. Unfortunately, my only viable option is to order another of same from TRF (which I did Sat.). The Moss pump is a real cheapy (the TRF pump is an expensive cheapy). Bummer.