• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Gifts for your Spridget

OP
Editor_Reid

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
OK, I'll go first: My Bugeye is getting a new (NOS) Speedwell license plate frame:

33or57p.jpg

Accessories are SO important!

nomad

Yoda
How do you find goodies like that!!!!??

Kurt.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Well, let's see. Baby Blue got an early Hannukah present with new foams and coverings for the seats. We're still waiting to open up the new gas tank. LED dash bulbs make for good stocking stuffers.

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
Hannukah stockings? That's cool... :angel2:

I fried my Latkes in Valvoline VR-1 this year, way better than Castrol. :jester:

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'm working on getting a car under my tree :smile: It might be a late Christmas

Morris

Yoda
My car is getting a re-attached wheel! Parts are on the bench just waiting for me to get the time.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Penny's still getting bodywork and paint (they're making progress). Most expensive holiday gift I've ever given. :grin:

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
OK, I'll go first: My Bugeye is getting a new (NOS) Speedwell license plate frame:

33or57p.jpg

Accessories are SO important!

BlueMax and I use this tag surround. I had two and gave him one. We don't use front plates here.
Nice find.:encouragement:

Tip: little patches of double sided tape will keep the lower part secured to the tag.

Nelson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Since the gear drive for my tach decided to turn to powder I'll be installing my converted tach. I had it converted to electronic so the gear drive and cable will be left in to keep the original look.

nomad

Yoda
Since the gear drive for my tach decided to turn to powder I'll be installing my converted tach. I had it converted to electronic so the gear drive and cable will be left in to keep the original look.

Good idea, Nelson, the current gear drive boxes are junk. I've rebuilt an original and found a good spare as well. Lubed the cable and all is well for now.

Kurt.

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
Good idea, Nelson, the current gear drive boxes are junk. I've rebuilt an original and found a good spare as well. Lubed the cable and all is well for now.

Kurt.

Hey Kurt, you're right; the new tach-drive gearboxes are junk. The way I've had luck with one, (after amassing a pile of failed units): Take the new one all the way apart. Lap each case half on a surface plate. Glue a thin paper gasket to one side, reassemble. Lube with JD Cornhead grease and reinstall. (I think I learned about cornhead grease from you on the SpriteSpot years ago in relation to steering racks...)

I think the new one's fail because a.) the mating surface on each half is not flat and b.) A few of the new one's I've opened appear to have a tiny dollop of plumber's grease inside. Once they get hot, the goo leaks onto the distributor and failure is near.

nomad

Yoda
Hey Kurt, you're right; the new tach-drive gearboxes are junk. The way I've had luck with one, (after amassing a pile of failed units): Take the new one all the way apart. Lap each case half on a surface plate. Glue a thin paper gasket to one side, reassemble. Lube with JD Cornhead grease and reinstall. (I think I learned about cornhead grease from you on the SpriteSpot years ago in relation to steering racks...)

I think the new one's fail because a.) the mating surface on each half is not flat and b.) A few of the new one's I've opened appear to have a tiny dollop of plumber's grease inside. Once they get hot, the goo leaks onto the distributor and failure is near.

I think Trevor is the fan of corn head grease...I've used it before...in corn head's! For what you are using it for I think it would work great. I managed to come up with 2 original's that I could make one out of and after I had done that I lucked on to a good original for a spare. I think most of the problem with these is the cable getting bound up. I removed the inner cable, washed it well and soaked it in motor oil till it turned as if there was no resistance.

Kurt.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Bugsy III my '59 BE Parts Car is going to a new home and funds from the sale will go towards a 5 Speed Kit from Gerard for Bugsy II. That and a new wiring harness and some odds and ends needs by Bugsy II.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I forgot but Bugsy got a gift of a used '67 Hi Compression Head. I did not wrap that one to put under the tree. New gasket and a quick cleanup. Maybe a new set of valves and seats when I get further along towards engine time.