• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Get out your check books!

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Possibly a pretty good deal if the paint & bodywork holds up to inspection and details are correct. Certainly looks like a lot of the rare bits are there (even the original Italian radiator - so many have received replacement TR3 radiators through the years).

It says those are Borrani wheels but I wonder - a friend has one and the Borranis on his (presumably original) have 3-eared knock-offs. Looks like curly-hub Dunlops to me.

Country flag
While in college I had a chance to buy one for $800. Didn't have the $800 and didn't like the looks of the car. Thought it was a kit car. That one does look nice. $115k seems a little much but there are folks out there that may buy it.
marv

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I've always liked the Italias, although now out of my little league. However, with a rusty 356 Porsche Speedster going for 300K on the same website, TR3s at 30k+ and Ferraris in the millions, this one looks like a deal. Tom

Italia 227

Freshman Member
Country flag
Whole Bring A Trailer thread is worth a good read.

Lots of interesting commentary, including notes from someone involved in a prior restoration of this "all original" Italia.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I swear I'll never understand how many cars go on the market, looking like the seller just bought it one day before.

Dust all over the place, crud in the footwells, parked in a crowded garage, "needs some cleaning up", obviously non-original parts, etc.

Is this some new trend? Sell things that are dirty, so people think they're more "original"? Heaven forbid it should be washed and displayed in the sunlight.

<puzzled>

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I swear I'll never understand how many cars go on the market, looking like the seller just bought it one day before.

Dust all over the place, crud in the footwells, parked in a crowded garage, "needs some cleaning up", obviously non-original parts, etc.

Is this some new trend? Sell things that are dirty, so people think they're more "original"? Heaven forbid it should be washed and displayed in the sunlight.

<puzzled>

?Patina? With values going up fast, there are all kinds of people flipping all kinds of cars.
I did take Italia 227's advice and read through the numerous comments on BAT. Lots of aspects of the listing that
seem a bit fishy to say the least, beginning with the seller's eBay name. At anything near the asking, the wise buyer should make a trip to meet the seller and see the car in person. But I still think it is quite a nice car with considerable value. Tom

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
As Tom Mull mentions, there's a lot of interesting info in that BaT discussion. Here's a link to what one BaT member says is the original car, when he restored it.

https://www.austinhealeywood.com/Italia.html

The one on ebay doesn't look quite so "original" now.

Italia 227

Freshman Member
Country flag
* NutmegCT - note pic at end of this thread, showing car in red "after the first resto".

* Tom Mull - 1st time this year anyone's taken my advice; red letter day.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
A couple of months ago, I saw an earlier BAT Italia car at my local, monthly British car meet. It was a yellow, rough Italia, that sold for about half this car's list price, and I was thrilled to see it. Very knowledgeable, personable owner, who was to dispatch it to "that" SLO Brit car restoration shop.

Personally, I've always lusted after Italias, and await seeing the yellow car in all it's newfound splendor.
We'll see what happens with this one.