• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Discussions:
Photos:

Group events

Photography

GAS attack treated

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Went 'n done it. Hopped from one foot to the other over this for months, kept watching the E-bay ads. Finally, a used "E-bay Refurbished" 200~500mm ∱5.6 AF VR Nikkor from Roberts Camera came up at a semi-reasonable price, with a 1-year warranty... I've had dealings with them since "the film days" and never had a problem.

Should show up by next Monday.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I'm looking forward to seeing what you capture with it.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
500mm 5.6 is going to be awesome. My 150-600 is only 5.6 up to 387mm. From 388 to 600 it's 6.3. You'll be able to get long shots in less than ideal light.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
If it's as advertised, it should be a good deal. That lens has had some good reviews. We'll see.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
First outing. Pulled detail with "curves" in GIMP and scaled it to post.
SS5_6153Gsc.JPG

Just fledged! Full-frame, scaled. 1/2000 sec. ∱5.6 @ 500mm... ISO 4000(!):

SS5_6183sc.JPG

Scaled, 1/1250 sec. ∱8 @ 500mm... ISO4000.

SS5_6188sc.JPG

Last edited:
OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
So the brown pelican shot got run thru Darktable to sharpen, then GIMP for a run thru "curves" and size reduction. Good result, IMHO.

SS5_6153DGsc.jpg

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The "downside" to the thing: It's BIG and it's HEAVY. I thought the 80~400 was a bit large. It's on the left. Then the 80~200mm ∱2.8. Those are both "yestertech" AF, relying on the motor in the camera to drive a shaft in the optic. The 200~500mm AF-S has the motor in the lens. Quick and quiet by comparison. Now I need to find a good storage/transport case for the 200~500.
SS5_6200Gcrsc.JPG

Basil

Administrator
Boss
That looks to be about the size of my Sigma 150-600 f6.3. That’s my main lens I’m using to shoot the eclipse.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Your Sigma is tack-sharp! Should get great results!