• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fuzzy door seals to cut or not, buy new or keep

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
Several years ago, in anticipation to redoing my interior, I bought the then available fuzzy door seals. I knew then, as I do now that they were a little larger. Nope, a lot large. The TRF has two or three types of seals now available, but before getting into those products, I noticed that their more modern (as they call it) seal has a "C" shaped rubber part as opposed to the others and the ones I have which are "O" shaped.

Now the question I have, was the original "O" or "C" shaped, and if "C" shaped has anyone cut the bottom of the "O" part of the then available seal to allow it to flex more and seal with less pressure on the door?

Any other opinion on suppliers of light tan fuzzy seals?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Not sure, but I believe TRF now gets them from Martin MacGregor in Canada. I bought seals for my Stag direct from Martin, and they look and fit identical to the originals (which had a soft, closed bulb).
https://www.macgregorukcarparts.com

I see he still hasn't updated the web site (it's just a one man operation), but he sent me samples in various colors and they look very nice.

tomshobby

Yoda
I just installed new seals from TRF. The installation was easy and looks great. I had to cut them to length and to fit around my wind wings. I am very pleased with the result.

And both my wife and I are very happy to have the wind wings and would not want to go without again.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Re: Fuzzy door seals to cut or not, buy new or ke

Like Tom, I too have the TRF fuzzy seals and like them very much. No major issues to install.

G

I am a turncoat and decided to go with the MG style vinyl covered door seal as opposed to the fuzzy covered fur-flex. We all know how nice the Fur-flex looks when it gets old.

foxtrapper

Jedi Trainee

I'd also rather go with the much harder wearing plastic type instead of the rapid wearing fur-flex seals.

Being cheap, I'd also go junkyard scrounging to see what sort of brown ones I could find on a car to pull off for just a few dollars. Wasn't it the Hyundai that supposedly has the exact same shape seal as Triumph used?

Norton47

Jedi Warrior

Gotta ask what are wind wings. I looked at your site but did not see anything different from my TR6. But I am not sure what I am looking for.

tomshobby

Yoda

I could take a better photo but this will give an idea.

We have found that they make a huge difference in the wind in our face and eyes. Better comfort and safety, I believe.

wings_001.jpg

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker

Hi,

Regarding vinyl trim vs. "fuzzies".

Not 100% certain they were original, but there's a very good possibility my TR4 came from the factory with vinyl trim strips, rather than fuzzies.

I've never been able to find out if they were original, but what was on there when I bought it did color match the original interior. Perhaps the vinyl was used because the interior color was a rather unusual one and the factory didn't have matching fuzzies? The interior was Midnight Blue (with Spa White exterior, a combo that was not listed in the factory specs). The car's original colors have been confirmed with BMIHT certificate.

The vinyl trim pieces were on the car when I bought it in the mid to late 70s. I knew the previous owner a bit (who hadn't changed much other than mechanical stuff & suspension to autocross the car, installed a roll bar and seat belts). I did not know the original owner.

When I bought it, the originally leather seats had been recovered (poorly & cheaply and in black vinyl) but the rest of the interior panels were still original. There was no indication that the trim pieces had ever been removed or replaced.

Actually, it wasn't until many years later that I even heard of fuzzies! Since then I've heard rumor some cars came with vinyl trim instead. My car might have been one of them.

Cheers!

OP
TR6oldtimer

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader

The TR4 I once had had the vinyl door opening trim with a separate rubber seal, but at some point the fuzzy was introduced on the 4's. The TR6 uses an all-in-one 'fuzzy' and rubber strip. It appears that the strip I obtained years ago used a rubber seal that was either larger in diameter or less compressible then the original.

So rather then drop another $150-200 for new ones, I was looking for a way to use what I had.

The solution I came up with was to punch 3/16" holes along the bottom of the rubber seal 3/4-1 inch apart. I have tested this with a remnant and it seems to work well. so, I am in the process of punch holes in the strip along the bottom and sides as needed. The only area I will not do this is where the seal goes onto the windscreen.

Hopefully when done, I will not have that dreaded but all to accept lower rear door bulge.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

Like a lot of things that we do or don't do to these cars, it's a matter of personal taste.

trfourtune

Jedi Knight

I got a tip once that some bmw's have a similar seal to the tr4's (tr4a's) fuzzy door seal. if your not doing pure restoration, go to the junk yard.
Rob

OP
TR6oldtimer

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader

Put the holes in the bottom. Works fine, no bulging door, it closes, and the holes are not visible. Planning to invest the $150 saved in diner for the wife, so I can spend more later....