• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Fuel Shutoff Valve

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
It's time. If you are on "the list", please PM your mailing addresses and I'll get these things shipped out. For anyone not on the list, I am afraid the production line is shut down, so please use the plans posted above.

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
So far I have sent plugs to:

Chuck M
Perry F
James AM
Keith J
Tim K
Andrew H

They will go out today USPS. My wife had "other" thoughts about charging anything for them. I guess that's why they call her my better half. These are really so small that they all fit on a single 12" length of $12 brass, and the O-rings were literally $.03. In other words it's not worth the postage to send me anything for what they cost!

I do have a bit of a concern over the fit, not my tolerances, but Triumph often tends to have a wide variation. So please check them if you can...let me know if there are any fit issues and I'll cut a replacement to your particular specs.

Below is the instruction sheet I am sending with them. The main items that must be done to make the plug work is to smooth the valve cylinder bore with fine paper...essentially "hone" it smooth. And also use a Dremel with a ball nose to smooth the cylinder wall around the screw hole and fuel port. This is important to prevent the sharp holes from cutting the o-ring and cause a fuel leak.

Triumph TR2/3 Brass Fuel Valve Mod

Disclaimer: I am afraid that I need to add this to the instructions, just so everyone understands my position. I am not a working engineer and cannot vouch for the longevity of this mod. I can say that I have designed it to the best of my ability and do have it working on my TR2. But, it is up to you or your installer to make sure you properly install this mod and test for leakage both initially and at occasional intervals. We are dealing with gasoline! If you have any doubts, don’t use this mod, and you can keep it as a novelty. I cannot be responsible for fuel leaks since I am not doing the installation myself.

Installation is very simple.
1) Take apart your fuel valve and clean all the parts. Be certain that all are in good shape and not damaged.
2) Install the brass plug provided in place of the original cork seal. The face with the o-ring will go to the inside of the valve, or outside of the valve body, and against the brass through bolt.
3) Snug the through bolt and lock nut to hold the plug firmly. There is no need to over tighten. The o-ring will provide the seal so long as it is held snuggly.
4) Before installing the valve body back into the valve cylinder, you MUST use a small Dremel to remove burrs from both the locking screw hole and the side fuel port! This is the most important step of the installation. As the cylinder came from the factory, there are burrs on the inside of the screw and fuel port holes. I use a Dremel with a ball end to reach into the holes and round off the inside of the holes where they meet the inside of the cylinder.
5) Smooth the inside of the cylinder with fine sandpaper wrapped around a pencil erasure or similar, to ensure a good surface for the o-rings to seal against. Polishing would be even better.
6) Now you can reinstall the valve body into the cylinder. Use oil or light grease, and be certain that the o-rings do not catch on the edge of the screw hole. If they do try to hang up on the screw hole, then round the cylinder edges more with the Dremel. If the o-rings are damaged by the fuel hole, then replace with new ½” by 1/16” rings. The end o-ring is 3/8” by 1/16”. Both are readily available from Ace, or any other hardware supply.
Note: My biggest fear is that the plugs may have fit issues due to Triumphs wide tolerances. If there are any fit issues, please PM me on the forum, letting me know what did not fit and I will send a replacement plug. No need to return this one.

That’s it! Enjoy a valve that shouldn’t leak like the original cork does.

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
If the o-rings are damaged by the fuel hole, then replace with new ½” by 1/16” rings. The end o-ring is 3/8” by 1/16”. Both are readily available from Ace, or any other hardware supply.

John,

In message #39 of this thread you mention the small end O-ring is ".25 in. OD by 1/16 in." Above you say 3/8 in. Which is correct?

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
OK, I see what happened. On my plug I used an o-ring I had laying around at .25”OD. When I had to buy more in bulk, all I could find were 3/8” OD. So all the plugs I am sending out are using the 3/8” OD.

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Aha! You wanted to see if we were paying attention!

Thanks!

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I am impressed! This project took so long to get started I had to think about it!?!

Suncoaster

Country flag
Hi, John -

PM with my info just sent. Thanks so much for making the valve available to us!

You're a most talented and generous individual.

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
My fears were founded today. I’m starting to get feedback from the plugs I sent out, and it’s about even with fitting or not. Triumph’s liberal tolerances strike again. I recommend you try your plugs as soon as you can. I will re-cut to your fit if you let me know what it is...

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Is it the diameter or the length that is the issue??

My fears were founded today. I’m starting to get feedback from the plugs I sent out, and it’s about even with fitting or not. Triumph’s liberal tolerances strike again. I recommend you try your plugs as soon as you can. I will re-cut to your fit if you let me know what it is...

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
John,

I'll try to get around to fitting the valve this weekend (warmer weather) and let you know. What exactly are the problems being reported?

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Is it the diameter or the length that is the issue??

It is the diameter. I think these were cast and then only minimally machined afterwards. Over the years the casting likely changed enough to make a precise fit impossible. It's all "doable", but I'll have to fit the plug to the particular casting.

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
John,

I won't be able to fit the new valve for a few weeks as i'm having some body work/repaint done on the TR. When I do, I will let you know how the fit is.

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Just as a point of interest, my friend the late Don Elliott had a similar solution. He gave me one of these "plungers" a few years ago (I believe a neighbour did the machining). I did assemble the valve, but by the time I did so I had already installed a generic valve on the car that was not leaking so decided to leave as is for now. Mine is a little tight to operate when dry, so perhaps it just needs a little feting to fit the o-rings a bit better. However, I suspect it might loosen up over time when in use.

Cheers, Mike

Fuel Valve_1.JPG
Fuel Valve_2.JPG
Fuel Valve_3.JPG
Fuel Valve_4.JPG