• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

fuel pump cut off switch post

Country flag
I am trying to find a some what recent post regarding a hidden switch to deter thieft. I believe it was regarding a Healey stolen from a garage which was found. I have been unable to use the forum search to find it.
Thanks

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

Why not just take the rotor an put it in "U" pocket TH?---Keoke- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

Must not be a very good deterrent if they stole the car from a garage anyway Huh?

Country flag
An old trick was to install a cut-out switch with a low amperage fuse across the terminals. Upon ignition, the fuel pump would click as normal (so as not to alert the thief to look for a hidden switch), but the fuse would quickly blow before the car was a half a block away.

Most theives wouldn't be interested in troubleshooting your car, now out in public.

A (second) headlight dimmer switch mounted high up under the dash is one way to conceal it, and you just punch it with your foot when you get in or before you get out. Nobody is the wiser.

The sad reality today is, if someone is targeting your Healey, it's probably going to get scooped up on a rollback (tow-truck) and shipped abroad.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I agree Randy, I was wondering about not hearing the fuel pump when I go to start the car. That would be a dead give away. The fused switch however might not be a bad idea. OTOH, I feel the thief that comes after a Healey probably knows more about it than its owner.

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I was/am looking into putting an inertia switch in that has a reset button which would do two things, cut off the fuel pump in case of hard impact so as to reduce chance of catching fire, and also as an immobilisor when the reset button is pulled out, ie no power to the pump.
These were I believe fitted to TR's and Mg's

Country flag
zblu said:
I was/am looking into putting an inertia switch in that has a reset button which would do two things, cut off the fuel pump in case of hard impact so as to reduce chance of catching fire, and also as an immobilisor when the reset button is pulled out, ie no power to the pump.
I know the 1980 MGB had one, I'm not certain when they (meaning: OUR GOVERNMENT) were required.

Pegasus Racing sells a nice one, intended for safety on racecars, but certainly useable for the street.

See Keoke's comment about the thief not hearing the fuel pump...

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Don't understand the logic in installing an anti-theft device in a Healey that is driven regularly. Maybe a show car that will be left unattended for some time perhaps. My thinking is there are usually more desirable cars than a 40+ old classic sitting in parking lots for a thief to steal.
I did install an ignition/fuse switch in a brand new '64 Impala I once owned, and yes it worked perfectly. The would-be thief did destroy my ignition switch however, and removed a large portion of the dash searching for the fuse. But, he didn't get away with my car.

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The fact of the matter is that our Healeys and most classic cars are unlikely to be stolen. Probably the main reason is that we owners are very careful with them. Most of the time they are parked in a locked garage. When we use them, we are particular where we leave them unattended. Some of us remove the rotors or install cut off switches. Finally, if stolen, these cars attract attention. For those that don't believe that, just remember how CHEAP your classic car insurance is. If these cars were a big target, you would be paying much higher insurance premiums. The best advice, be careful and fully insure the car.

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
Two problems can be solved with a variation on Randy's suggestion. If a small ATO/ATC sized ciruct breaker is installed onto the terminals of the battery cutoff switch, When the switch is turned off, the only current path is through this circut breaker that you installed. I used the smallest one they make. It was 8 or 10 amps. Two benefits from doing this:
1.. If you turn on the ignition, the fuel pump runs as usuall until the carbs are filled up. Then when you try to start it, you hear a " click " like when the battery is dead. A potential thief would think the battery is dead. Unless he came with his tow truck. your car is not going anywhere.
2.. If you have a modern radio, this circut breaker will allow your radio to retain all of the station presets even though the battery switch has been turned off.
The circut breaker resets fast enough that you don't loose your presets, even though you forgot to turn your battery switch back on and peformed an " unscheduled " test of the anti-theft function of your car. Ask me how I know this...
The 8 - 10 amp circut breaker also allows you to turn on a light or the radio even with the battery switch turned off.
But the car will NOT start.

OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
So, no one remembers the post?
I've got a "Denver Boot" wheel lock, a steering wheel lock, the boot cut off switch and good insurance. I just don't want to have to re do a car to get it where have mine now. I just want to make it inconvienent to be stolen. Especially when I travel over night to a car show and it is in a motel parking lot. If mine is difficult they just may go on to yours parked next to mine.
The theory is that with a cut off switch to the fuel pump the car can be driven until the float chambers are empty or about one block.
And Healeys are getting valuable with "restorers" having a hard time finding cheap rust buckets to work on. New engine and fire wall plates are available with out questions asked.
I'd rather do this than say I wish I had done it after a loss. It can be done with out drilling or altering the originality of the car in a way that cannot be reversed.

roger_abbott

Jedi Hopeful
Some years ago, any unattended motorcycle was an invitation to theft, so most riders, especially of the high-end bikes such as the Honda Goldwing, installed remote pagers. They would transmit a signal up to a quarter mile if the bike were disturbed. Such devices are also availablefor cars and they are not expensive relative to the value of the car, and they are much improved today. Install a remote pager alarm that notifies you if someone is messing with your car. That way, you can go wherever you want at the car show so long as you don't go any further than you can sprint in the time it takes to hook your Healey to a tow truck (as little as 15 seconds according to my repo client). Most remote pagers are part of an alarm package, so there is always the hope that if your Healey is warbling and hooting, it may make the thief nervous and take longer to load it.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
:eek:--Shorn!

Didn't to you see the E-bay listing for an MGA that was stolen right here in Santa Monica Ca. It was also posted here on BCF. The percentage of cars that are stolen may be small but, there are people in this world that would steal your eye teeth just to see what they look like.---Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
zblu said:

Just finf yourself a series 3 Jaguar Saloon they have them!---Keoke

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I'm continually amazed when I see the statistics on what gets stolen, at least here in LA. You might think that the expensive cars would be the main target, but that's not really true. The main targets are hot muscle cars, stolen for joyriding; cars that are known to be easy to steal; certain cars with unusually expensive parts; and things like that. I'm also surprised at how easily thieves can be dissuaded, by even the simplest precautions.

My own example is my 86 Toyota van, with a spare tire that was expensive and easy to steal. Thieves tried to get it FIVE TIMES in the first couple months I owned the car. They popped the catch, discovered it was chained on, and left. Could easily have cut the chain with bolt cutters, but even that little complication stopped them. Finally, I got smart and arranged the chain so it was visible at a glance--never again did anyone try to get the tire.

So, my suggestion is to view anything as a theft target, take simple, reasonable precautions to protect it, and probably you'll be OK.

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Keoke,
Did not mean to imply that stealing a Healey or other LBC doesn't happen. Just think it is fairly unusual, insurance rates bear that out. A Honda is a more likely target. Being careful is the key; where you park it, remove the rotor, use the Club, or whatever feels right, BUT keep it Fully Insured.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
GregW said:
Hi Ed,
I wonder if that circuit breaker could be bypassed by push starting the car.

----UH!-----------------Keoke- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
I'll have to think about it. If the car has been hot wired and then push started, the generator is putting out and is grounded through the case. The fuel pump and ignition are grounded independently from the battery ground so it will keep running if hot wired and push started.
In order for this to work, the thief has to know about the
" special " wire which I will not talk about here in case some low lifes are reading this post. The car will not turn over under it's own power so they would have to know;
1.. How to hot wire it.
2.. What special wire is involved.
3.. they will have to push start it or let it roll down hill.
If they know these things before they try, or bring a tow truck, then the car is gone.