• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Fuel line missing [ TR3]

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
After going thru all my fuel and hydraulic lines today it looks like I may be missing the fuel line that goes between the two carbs. I tried to get an idea of what it would look like from the big three catalogs, Piggots books, and the factory parts book but no luck. I'm not even sure which one to order. Does anybody have a picture of the correct setup, or part number?

Attachments

• 22623.jpg
    22623.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 382

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
The carby link pipes are shown in the Moss Motors catalogue under "fuel system".

Your carbies look to have the last of the banjo fittings, which took push on rubber fuel hose.

Viv.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Factory P/N for those carbs was 203120, I believe. TRF has it listed under that number, Moss has it listed as 376-278. Here's a photo from Practical Hints 4th ed.

Attachments

• 22628.jpg
    22628.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 356

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
And here's a blowup of the Moss diagram

Attachments

• 22629.jpg
    22629.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 355
OP
M

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
As Viv mentioned in his reply the banjo fittings look like a slip on type. The pictures from Don and Randall look like they would be a threaded type fitting on the ends of the hose.
Do you think I have incorrect hose barbs on the banjo fitting for the year of the car?
Randall the Vin for my car is very close to your 56 TR3. I'm thinking over the years someone replaced the banjos to a later style fitting, and just ran a hose with clamps between the carbs.
It looks like I could order the hose from Moss 376-278 and then remove the banjo fittings that I have and replace it with the new Moss part and it would be correct.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
IMO, what you have are banjos that have had the original hoses cut off of them. They are just hose barbs underneath. Of course it would work to just clamp some rubber fuel line onto the barbs (which is what my car had when it came to me), but AFAIK the factory always supplied the hose already fastened to the banjos with crimp sleeves (very similar to what Don shows).

So yes, to be most nearly correct, buy the assembly from Moss or TRF and keep the banjos you have as spares.

At the moment, my 56 is wearing the carbs off of the 59 with the later "push-on" fittings. Someday, if I get bored, I might rebush the originals and put them back. But most likely I'll follow my usual routine of driving it until it breaks, then fixing it and driving some more :laugh:

Took a test drive today, seems like the rear end operation was a success. Next weekend will be the real test, we're planning to drive some 800 miles (to Yosemite National Park) with some other crazies from the local TR club.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Here is the set-up that Moss furnishes. You will notice that the front carb banjo has screw on fittings. The rear banjo has a crimp on.

Attachments

• 22637.jpg
    22637.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 315

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
The braided hoses shown in my photo above was a new unit made by a local hydraulic repair shop. I took them the original banjo fittings and they cut and put on the two new lengths of hose you see with new crimps just where they were originally. Randall is right in that the crimps don't look exactly like the original crimped brass ends. But this hose works for me. I still have two complete original hose sets which I plan to keep shiny for installation at judged car shows. This way I'll know they look correct for my car.

If Moss sells them with screw-on fittings instead of the tubular brass crimped on fittings, then IMO, they are not original nor do they look original.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Here are some pictures of what came on and is going back on my post 60000 commission number 3A.

Cheers, Tinkerman

Attachments

• 22639.jpg
    22639.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 278
  • 22640.jpg
    22640.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 274
OP
M

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks for all the pictures, and information. I had the same idea Randall had late last night while watching a movie that the hose had been removed from the fittings. One more thing to put down on the parts to be ordered list.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Mallard if you have a hydraulic shop in your area you can have them made up on your Banjos. There is a shop called Williams Oil Filter in the Tacoma area that does it for 20.00, but they would need a pattern to work from; they might be able to do it from a photo. I think if you took your carbs to a shop they could get the length and orientation for the banjos. The savings would not be that much, but you would have crimps on all four banjo fittings. In addition, you would need the fitting that goes on the tail end of the line where it hooks up to the fuel system, so you might as well go new.
Steve