• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fuel from rear manifold drain??

PeterB

Country flag
After an engine rebuild and being in storage for many years, I finally started the car and tuned the engine last month for the first time. It ran and sounded great and everything looked good compared to the workshop manual and forum standards. After running at idle a few times and a couple of short yard drives it seems gas comes from the rear manifold drain after I shut the car off especially if it hasn't run that long. Any ideas where to start looking?

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
PeterB said:
After an engine rebuild and being in storage for many years, I finally started the car and tuned the engine last month for the first time. It ran and sounded great and everything looked good compared to the workshop manual and forum standards. After running at idle a few times and a couple of short yard drives it seems gas comes from the rear manifold drain after I shut the car off especially if it hasn't run that long. Any ideas where to start looking?
If your running HD6 carbs the problem is more likely the Jet/diapram. They harden up when not in use much and crack.

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Pat, if the jet diaphragm is leaking, you'd see gas dripping from the bottom of the carb jet housing. Diaphragms are used in HD-<span style="text-decoration: underline">8</span> carbs.

Gas dripping from the front or rear drain tubes indicates raw fuel in the manifold. This can be normal if the engine is cold and hard to start and cranking attempts are prolonged, or if the engine is shut down before it warms up completely. I think it (rear tube) could also indicate flooding of the rear carb, although I've only seen it happen during cold cranking. If it's happening with the engine warm, I would check the jet adjustment.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi , maybe the choke setting is still a bit rich

Country flag
HD-6 (H for horizontal / D for diaphragm?) carbs also have diaphragms, and they do indeed harden and crack after being exposed to gasoline and then left to dry up.

Depending on your dexterity, these can be replaced without removing the entire carb...

IMG_1815.jpg

IMG_1823.jpg

IMG_1826.jpg

IMG_1828.jpg

IMG_1832.jpg

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Randy Forbes said:
HD-6 (H for horizontal / D for diaphragm?) carbs also have diaphragms, and they do indeed harden and crack after being exposed to gasoline and then left to dry up.

Depending on your dexterity, these can be replaced without removing the entire carb...

Thanks for the correction, Randy, and sorry, Patrick. I thought "HD6" was a typo for HS6. I'm only familiar with the carbs on a BJ7 and BJ8.
I don't know about the other models, but removing the carbs on a BJ8 isn't my favorite job. I think I would like even less, though, trying to change the diaphragm without removing the carbs first, if that is even possible.