• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

fuel cut off

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Recently I've been following and adding to the topic of having a fire extinguisher in the Healey.

Related topic may be how many of us have added a fuel cut off device to the fuel pump?

If so, what kind.

An example might be in an accident where the fuel line is damaged and the ignition is on. It just turns into a fuel sprinkler system - not good.

Cheers,
Roger

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
well Roger, I have used an inertia switch this will accomplish the same thing in the case of an accident.Jaguars have them and there are some aftermarket ones available too.-Keoke--- :driving:

RAC68

Darth Vader
Roger,

In the 80s, full size Ford sedans had a unit we new as a Turnover switches. These units were installed on a main beam within the left trunk wall and utilized a magnetic ball and spring as the switch’s contact. Should the car be hit or turn over, the ball would separate from its seat and cut power to the fuel pump. Resetting the switch was simply a matter of pressing a button, which reseated the ball onto the seat.

I installed one of these switches, procured from a salvage yard, and mounted it on the frame within the boot. Power was fused and routed through the switch from the original pump power line and covered. Since this is a hidden switch, I have occasionally tripped this switch to compliment the security provided by the battery cut-off.

All the best,

Ray (64BJ8P1)

Country flag
Pegasus has them, cleaner than a salvage yard too :wink:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=87

1108.JPG

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Got one fitted,
Had to get one that was not set up for a soft rider, ie needs a vigourous thump to get it to operate

Country flag
RAC68 said:
Randy,
Cleaner but not cheaper than $0.00.

Ray (64BJ8P1)
:smile: Life's one big tradeoff; you'd be surprised to know how much I'd pay to stay clean (I buy about 3000-4000 rubber gloves a year).

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I added a manual switch to my fuel pumps. Yes, I have two in my BJ8. After having one fail in the BN4, we installed two on a double switch. I use both and flip to the off position as security feature. Once turned off, you can drive about 150 feet before running out of gas. I like the inertia switch idea too, but may not get to that soon.

If only our cars were bigger, we could add lots of new additions.

Jerry
BN4
BJ8

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
RAC68 said:
Roger,
Since this is a hidden switch, I have occasionally tripped this switch to compliment the security provided by the battery cut-off.
All the best,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

Some of you know how I love to keep my car looking stock, but have hidden features. I like the double duty of this switch.

I drive my car a lot. I always turn the battery cut-off to off and lock the boot. 1964 anti-thief devise. So lets say a thief knows about the battery cut off. He may not know where I hid the fuel cut of switch.

Nice Ray, thanks!
Roger

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well Jerry, that may improve security a bit. However, If you just put the rotor in you pocket it ain't goin nowhere.--Fwiw--Keoke- :wink:

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
The handle of my battery switch is removable. Once you pull that, it would be hard to connect the battery without jumpers. So between the battery switch and the fuel cutoff, like Roger, I don't worry when I leave my car.

Jerry

RAC68

Darth Vader
Bill,

Haven’t you installed a Healey Ground Anchor?

I think we could probably protect our Healeys from the random thief but as you point out, not the serious professional with resources.

Ray (64BJ8P1)

Country flag
Now you have confused me. It sounds like another topic starting. An electric cut off switch for security. Or a kill switch in case of an accident.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
AH100M said:
I've had a car stolen from me (a '71 Alfa) by a guy with a flatbed...
------------------------------------------------ :shocked:

:savewave:

Well Bill you got one of two choices:

1] Move!!

2] Sleep init!!!

----------------------Keoke---- :laugh:

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
I've got built in theft security for my BN6, 99% of the people who might
want to steal it would have no idea how to start it !!!! Or like Keoke says,
just take the rotor with you and it ain't going nowhere !

As to the fuel cutoff switch, think I might install one of those too. We had
a bad accident over here last night where a fellow in his early 80's Alfa Romeo
convertible got distracted on a two lane road and ran head on into a big truck.
He did not survive and I only mention it as no matter how careful we all are
driving our LBC's, one simple mistake and we are toast. Knowing the fuel would
shut off automatically would be a nice feature.

Regards,
Mike

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Well, if you're really worried about security you can install a "Locking Steering Wheel", standard on Euro variation models.

Country flag
I have a hidden cut off switch which is simply a key locking Briggs and Stratten power on-off switch (less than $10.00). I also use a "Denver boot" which is bright red and attaches to any wheel is seconds. With knock off hubs, this only slows down the thief (also would be noisy). I also have a steering wheel lock which I haven't used in years. All this won't deter a professional thief but it might make him go the the next, easier, car. This just lets me sleep at night when on the road.
TH

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
tahoe healey said:
Now you have confused me. It sounds like another topic starting. An electric cut off switch for security. Or a kill switch in case of an accident.

Naa TH We just wanted to address Bill's problem too he live where a bunch of bad folks have flat bed trucks.
So an "electric cut off switch for security ain't gonna do you any good.

Similarly , if bad folks come and steal your car with a flat bed truck it ain't no accident. Therefore, alternate solutions were required to address his unique problem.-Keoke-- :wink: