• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

front suspension rebuild parts list

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
I have decided I am never going to have the time to work on 58 Bugeye. I have found a local mechanic willing to work on my car for me. I have secured used parts for conversion to disc brakes.

I glanced at the Moss catalog and other than most obvious parts I began to wonder if there is a standard rebuild kit in a bag to buy as one unit. Don't want mechanic to need a part and slow him down.

Also I notice a big difference in Wishbone/Spring Pan stampings from original to aftermarket stampings. My car is not gonna be judged at car shows for exactness so does it make a big difference?

Has anyone compiled a complete list of parts needed for front suspension rebuild?

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Check the Victoria British catalog. They sell Major Suspension Kit, Kingpin Kit and Fulcrum Pin kits.

Let me know how it goes. I think a front end overhaul will be my project for Winter 2015 / 2016 on my car.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
The more expensive wishbones have heavier gussets and additional braces to handle the load of Rubber Bumpers but they work really well for BE's.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Major suspension kit, likely wishbone metal bushings will be shot so either new wishbones or send for rebushing, you'll need Peter c to ream kingpins. While you are in there;
1) replace sway bar bushings and if you don't have a sway bar find on eBay and add
2) wheel bearings, replace, MOSS has the correct t ones that fit
3) front and rear brake hoses
4) front pads check wear and replace if needed
5) the rod ends - count exposed threads and write down, 15 1/2 showing will get you close on alignment. Replace
6) HF sells a ball joint splitter around $20 tgat works well
7) threaded Rod and nuts fir spring removal and reinstall
8) Jack stands
9) wheel bearing grease
10) Sawzall to get it apart
11) PB Blaster
12) knowing tge correct bolts to loosen so you don't split the caliper
13) MityVac for Brake bleeding or a helper
14) qt of Castrol LMA purchased on line
15) new cotter pins fur wheel bearings
16) depending on how wheel bearings fit, some shims from McMaster Carr may be needed.

Ok that covers most parts and tools and supplies. Others will chime in fir what I forgot.

Jim Gruber

This should coved most items

That will take care of most items you need

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Peter C's team has the needed expertise as a turnkey service, shins under trunion top cap also important. SawZall to take it all apart.

OP
M

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
so I should send Peter the spindle and let him rework instead of local mechanic, I have spindle loose from buying used

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Mightymidget,
A mechanics time is money and I don't know what the local rate is, but you will be well served by following Jim Grubers suggestions. I sent my spindles to Peter Caldwell and had him replace/rebuild the components that were needed and I was very happy with the results. I also used him for the brake calipers and shocks and I was very happy with that as well...Peter should be able to supply the rotors, too. The decision you need to make at this point is what type of bushings you want to go with, rubber or poly, when you get this done. The new/rebuilt front suspension along with disc brakes will transform your car! Make sure you rebuild the rear as well since any sloppiness in the rear bushings will affect the handling of the car.
Good luck, Rut

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
And I forgot to add a set of Peter C's Shocks to that list. Rears as well.

OP
M

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
yes I heeded your advice and gave a call out to Peter @World Wide Auto Parts. I felt like the Alka Seltzer guy, OH what a relief !!

I am going to let him do as much as possible, so when it is return I probable will be able to do install as a bolt on. went and got my parts from mechanic and need to build some plywood boxes for transportation both ways.

it is gonna redo all 4 shocks as well, might as well to send master cylinder to Gerald too

thanks for guidance, more money less stress

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
There are plenty of other things that will need your time and attention. Sometimes the best tool in your Toolbox is your Credit Card. You will be happier with shocks and being able to simply bolt it back together and know that it was done right.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
When you order your shocks from Peter they will come in boxes made to ship yours back saving you the trouble. The spindles can be wrapped in bubble wrap or something similar and placed in flat rate boxes since they are not very big.
Rut

OP
M

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
UPDATE: mailed to wood boxes to Peter through USPS. the weight of each wood box and 1/2 suspension was 48 lbs. Cost to mail was $98.86 for both boxes from South Carolina to Wisconsin

size of wood boxes built 14x14x17.

OP
M

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
UPDATE: mailed to wood boxes to Peter through USPS. the weight of each wood box and 1/2 suspension was 48 lbs. Cost to mail was $98.86 for both boxes from South Carolina to Wisconsin

size of wood boxes built 14x14x17.

seems to be taken quite a while for completion, is this to be expected?

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Call Peter to make sure he received your stuff. Normally I've received jobs like reaming kingpins in and out of his shop in one day. He's normally the shortest dependency in the project plan. Just call him.