Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
I'm flushed with success but think it best to wait for tomorrow for the new bearing insertion step. If anyone can think of general advice or simply warn against stupid mistakes that I'm about to make, please let me know.
Packed the bearings with the grease included with the VB bearing kit, cleaned the hub and spindle with brake cleaner, tapped the bearings (and seal) into the hub (oriented correctly with the large outer races facing inward) with the old, kerfed outer races and reinstalled the hub. I tightened the castle nut to 40ft-lbs and the wheel was a little tight but turned freely. Remounted the wheel and loosely adjusted the front brakes. No play or noise. I took Bugsy out for a very cautious ride, stopped after about a quarter mile and felt no heat from the hub. I took Bugsy for a longer ride and got him to about 40mph with no noticeable noise. I shifted into neutral and listened very carefully to the strange silence as I coasted down hill at about 40mph. Got home and still felt no noticeable heat from the hub.
I'll recheck everything tomorrow and adjust the brakes but I think the project was a success. Thanks to all.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.