• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

format issues

LAW75

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I am sure I just haven't yet figured this site out but encountered the following problems:
1. Went to Healey forum and tried to post a question and the response from the site: "...Problem.. at least one valid recipient (needed)..." I just want to post a item or question and not need to include a particular person to be bothered.
2. So, when I encountered the above, I inserted my site name and, A. it did not recognize me as a member, and B. would still not allow me to post.
3. I tried to revise my icon with a picture. Response from the site is the attachment is too big. It is a normal picture. How to work around that?
Thanks

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Your gas smell post in the Healey forum shows up, so I figure you've got that problem solved.

For your photo "avatar", use a picture with a very small filesize (like maybe 60 bytes). If you use Windows, just open the picture you have using Paint, then choose Resize at the upper left of Paint. Say, what filesize is the picture you're trying to use?

Tom M.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
That's weird. You should not have to enter recipients to post a message - that is something you only need to do if you are trying to send someone a "conversation" (what some forums call a private message).

Tom mentioned your gas smell post is showing up - did you get that issue figured out?

Depending on what system you have (PC, Mac, iPhone) there are different ways to resize an image. For best results try to rezise the image to around 400 x 400 pixels. If you are getting message the image is too big the filel size is probably over 3 MB. It will allow you to upload images that are quite large (over 2MB) but that's kinda a waste oof hard drive space. My Avatar is 400 x 400 pixels and only about 52 bytes in file size. Just for an experiment I just tried to change my avatar to a picture that was 2.1MB and very large (like 2000 x 3000 pixels) and the system accepted it - but resized it after upload. Bet though to just try to keep the file dimensions around 400 x 400. and file size under 3MB (that's a server limitation). Smaller is better though.

OP
LAW75

LAW75

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
That's weird. You should not have to enter recipients to post a message - that is something you only need to do if you are trying to send someone a "conversation" (what some forums call a private message).

Tom mentioned your gas smell post is showing up - did you get that issue figured out?

Depending on what system you have (PC, Mac, iPhone) there are different ways to resize an image. For best results try to rezise the image to around 400 x 400 pixels. If you are getting message the image is too big the filel size is probably over 3 MB. It will allow you to upload images that are quite large (over 2MB) but that's kinda a waste oof hard drive space. My Avatar is 400 x 400 pixels and only about 52 bytes in file size. Just for an experiment I just tried to change my avatar to a picture that was 2.1MB and very large (like 2000 x 3000 pixels) and the system accepted it - but resized it after upload. Bet though to just try to keep the file dimensions around 400 x 400. and file size under 3MB (that's a server limitation). Smaller is better though.
Hi B. Sorry for being such a pain. I am certain the problem is my lack of understanding in working the site.
1. The gas smell seems to be an ongoing issue. I just may have to pony up and purchase a new trunk trim set...darn
2. I must be going to the wrong section of the site. I went to a section that had a box "start a conversation". I assumed that was to Membership but that is where the sign comes :"00PS need to add two more...." so that is why I put yours and mine down on recipients.
3. Would love to understand how to start a conversation with the Austin Healey section in which my question/comment goes to entire AH membership? Would you be kind enough to give me an idiot proof button by button?
4. I have a Mac. I guess I need to call Apple to figure out how to "resize" a regular photo to 400 x400, unless you have a tip? All Im trying to do is put a pic of my dog in the Avatar...thought it would be funny???

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Aha! Here at BCF, "start a conversation" means "send a private message". To reach all members of the AH section, you'd start a new topic, using the button in the upper right of the Forum page, "Post Thread"). For example, on the top of a BCF page, you'll see Forums. Click that, then choose Austin Healey. Then choose Post Thread, type in a topic, then in the larger box below, type in what you'd like to share with the members of the AH forum.

I'm a Windows guy; for me an Apple is for munching. :bananawave: