• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB-GT First long drive in the GT without tire problems!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Got up this morning and took Millie the GT on her first long drive since I bought her, up over Wolfcreek Pass to Hanna. One of my favorite drives, a great mountain pass road (summit is just under 9500'). Traffic was clear and I was able to push a little. The car did really well, even able to pass someone on the backside on the way home.

I forget sometimes just how good a stock MGB really is. For a nearly 50 year old car it's still quite competent. Was very nice to be able to drive and not worry about a flat tire. :grin:

A few photos from my rest stop. I really do live in a beautiful place. This spot is about 40 miles from my house, on the back side of the pass. The whole drive is much like this.

northfork1.jpg

northfork2.jpg

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Re: First long drive in thew GT without tire problems!

Good job, Drew! And yes, you really do live in a beautiful place. And the GT is a great road car - same as the Tourer (why DO they call it that?), but different.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Re: First long drive in thew GT without tire problems!

Ah, The beauty of nature! Even though every state has it's beautiful places, Utah is one of out favorite states to travel through! Nice photos Drew. Thanks for sharing. PJ

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
congrats drew. Thank you for sharing your triumph!... err your win. Its an MG not a triumph....

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I like both triumphs and Triumphs, so all good there. :grin:

I enjoy driving these old cars far more than the restoration work, so getting out for a good long drive after a month in the shop is a huge relief and a reminder of why I do this.

Have another nice drive planned for Saturday with my local club, should be a good day.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Although it is good it is an MG as that means it runs :devilgrin: In the second picture Drew, did you walk out that far? Or forget to set the emergancy brake? :D

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Seriously, it looks awesome, and, given that mine is out of commision I really ought to keep my mouth shut. Doh!

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Although it is good it is an MG as that means it runs :devilgrin: In the second picture Drew, did you walk out that far? Or forget to set the emergancy brake? :D

Walked up the hill a ways to stretch my legs. The red paint really stands out and I couldn't resist the picture.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Excellent! We did a bit of driving in Colorado this Summer. The American West really is magnificent even when "only" about a mile in elevation.

I wonder (and you might know) if the GT roof is easier to get in under compared to the convertible? (OK...."Tourer").
The packaway roof on my '69 seems extra low for me and I'm always hitting it when I get in (I'm 6' tall)

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Excellent! We did a bit of driving in Colorado this Summer. The American West really is magnificent even when "only" about a mile in elevation.

I wonder (and you might know) if the GT roof is easier to get in under compared to the convertible? (OK...."Tourer").
The packaway roof on my '69 seems extra low for me and I'm always hitting it when I get in (I'm 6' tall)

Much easier - and I'm only 5'9"

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm 6'1", and the GT *is* a bit easier to get into. Much easier to see out of too, compared to a roadster with the top up. My previous roadster wasn't too bad, but then the seat foams were a bit collapsed and that helped. Still, the taller roof on the GT makes a difference.

Having owned both now I'm finding that I prefer the GT. Airflow is decent without any buffeting, and the visibility really is much better. My GT is a bit ragged and I probably won't do the restoration it needs, but I could see myself with a different one down the road.

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If your GT is a bit ragged my B is down right hammered. :grin:

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
It looks good from the outside, but underneath, not so much. Someone did some really lousy work under there.

I've decided not to look anymore. :grin:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
It looks good from the outside, but underneath, not so much. Someone did some really lousy work under there.

I've decided not to look anymore. :grin:

there's a certain irony to that statement, given the events of the past few hours. Hope you're feeling better Drew, and glad it wasn't permanent damage. (Others can look in the Pub if you aren't sure what I am talking about)