Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
<span style="font-style: italic">Boeshield</span> - now that's something I haven't thought about in a while. Works well, Dale.
There are still a few words burned into my brain from when I studied for the Aircraft Mechanic test 30-odd years ago. One is <span style="font-style: italic">Par-al-ketone</span>, a sticky anti-corrosion substance you brush onto the innards of seaplanes that are used in saltwater. Maybe it's still around or maybe Boeshield superceded it.
Two other words I can't forget are <span style="font-style: italic">Aliphatic Naphtha</span> and <span style="font-style: italic">False Brinelling</span>.
Dale: When I was in college back in the sixties, I worked summers on a blueberry farm close to the NJ shore. We had antiquated equipment, tractors, etc. One of my jobs every Monday was to spray all the exposed mechanical parts, steering, suspension, cables, levers, etc., with WD 40. We bought this in 55 gal drums and I used a litle hand pump type garden sprayer to wet down all the stuff. I often wonder if the spray really did prevent corrosion. WD40 is primarily a water displacement agent. But I can tell you I visited that farm maybe 20 years later, and much of the same equipment was still in use. AND the blueberries were as sweet as ever. Ah memories.
WD40 is available at the despot by the gal. Maybe its worth a try.
My son mentioned that we had painted one of these things with KBS but that it did not stick well and CCURTISS recommended using POR15. I'll admit that I haven't tried POR15 but when I was looking for paint to use on the parts that attach to the frame I looked at both POR15 and KBS. Both are sold via the web and not distributed through normal paint channel like Lowes or hardware stores. I suspect that both are made from the same basic stuff but have not verified this. I believe that the KBS did not stick to the bronze because it was not a rusted or blasted surface, but was smooth a shiny.
I can say that when KBS is applied to blasted parts that it sticks like crazy and forms a coating that seems to be impervious to dents or bangs. I took a finished suspension part and banged it against the edge of our workbench - not a scratch or dent on it, so I'm hoping it will hold up to rocks and other pavement hazards.
I love the way the KBS goes on. I put two coats on all our parts but suspect that I could have gotten away with just one. A quart has covered every suspension part on the car along with the rear leaf springs and the diff and we still have some left over. It would make an low-cost alternative to powder coating for a frame. The appearance when dry is glossy black.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.