• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Finding TR6 Project?

ajmac

Freshman Member
Hi Guys,
My company has asked me if I'd like to move to Houston in the next 12 months, it will be a big change as I'm in Lincoln, Britain at the moment!
Anyway, I've owned a 71 Spitfire & a 72 TR6, both great cars which I did a lot of work on. I'd like to get an early TR6 when I move over your side of the Atlantic but searching on the Net has come up with very little in the way of project cars. All I can find is perfect restored examples and even then not much in Tx.

Where do I search for a viable solid project, I imagine most TR6s went to California... At home I just looked in the TR register magazine and was overcome with so much choice :smile: Perhaps there is a similar group in the US.

Thanks to all
Alastair

PS. Has anyone fitted UK spec FI onto any Tx cars, is it allowed in that state?

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Welcome to this fine forum. You are in the right place for answers to your questions. I have seen a few TR5s that had been imported by private individuals. I'll bet that your question prompts some substantive reply's.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
The Texas Triumph Register is one of several Chapters of The Vintage Triumph Register in Texas; they would be a good place to start looking. Of course, putting the word out here and possibly also on some of the e-mail lists (i.e., triumphs@autox.team.net and -- <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">someone help me here</span></span> -- the 6-Pack e-mail list) would be good.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
You won't have a problem finding a project car. Maybe not immediately, but you'll find one. But do you know how hot and sticky Houston gets ? And I don't mean for just a couple of months; figure 6 months out of the year. And the traffic...

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
poolboy said:
You won't have a problem finding a project car. Maybe not immediately, but you'll find one. But do you know how hot and sticky Houston gets ? And I don't mean for just a couple of months; figure 6 months out of the year. And the traffic...

Might be a good break from the cold and rain :whistle:

OP
A

ajmac

Freshman Member
It will be a change not to have to get dressed up with bomber jacket and hat, not to mention having that noisy heater running every time I go for a drive! Next thing you're going to tell be that Triumph carpet sets aren't designed to be permenently soaking wet and moldy :shocked: When the cabin does get warm..ish all the gauges steam up, don't tell me that isn't supposed to happen aswell?

Alastair

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Oh boy are you in for a shock. Pick up trucks, SUV's, traffic jams at rush hour, 90% humidity, 98*F, automobiles with air conditioning, afternoon thunder showers and the occassional hurricane.
Oh yeah people who talk funny, y'all.
What did you do wrong at work ?

OP
A

ajmac

Freshman Member
I had two offers:
NJ or TX and my wife insisted on TX because she didn't want anywhere with weather even a little like Britain :smile:

Alastair

toysrrus

Yoda
Howdy Alastair,

You should Thank your wife for "Not" choosing NJ (Nothing personal all you "Jerseyites").

Really kind of Tx except you have the Winters to contend with. Traffic galore & humidty that would make your socks melt.

I lived in NE NJ for quite awhile (100yrs ago) & don`t miss it at all. Actually, When I do go to visit my cousin in "Bergen County" and I`m on RT.46; I "Cringe" even in my Trailblazer.

Whatever area you ultimately choose; I`m sure you`ll come up with a TR6 to play with.

Have Fun Hunting,

Russ

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
A while back there was a fellow in Texas liquidating a collection of TR6s. I don't know his name or contact info, but the cars seemed to be in good condtion and price reasonably. Maybe someone else here can help out.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Ok, Alastair, all in good fun, Being a Baton Rouge "native" we were kind of Houston rivals and didn't miss a chance to knock Houston although we endured the same Gulf Coast weather.
The people will welcome you and try to make you feel at home, they're Southerners as well as Texans.
BTW those Houston TR6's were pretty well fixed up already, if they are even still around. There'll be more.
Good Luck.

Steve69

Freshman Member
Alastair,
You should have no trouble finding a nice project once you're here in the States. There's a 69 TR6 for sale right now in the Austin TX craigslist for $1500. The owner says the title is missing, but the car looks to be a good starting point and titles aren't that difficult to obtain (just a lot of hoops to jump through with the DMV). You'll also find that Texas cars won't have very much rust -- a concept that will probably be quite foreign to you! My '69 spent most of its life in Texas, and when I pulled the front wings off during disassembly, I found not the expected rusted-away inner panels, but rather, a pound of west-Texas sand in each cavity!
If you haven't found them already, go to www.6-pack.org and join the group. Like BCF, they're a very active bunch and their forum is even more extensive than this one. They focus exclusively on the TR250-TR6. They're also a club, and you can join if you want but don't have to in order to be a forum member. If you choose to join, they have a very good quarterly newsletter/magazine as well as an incredible online archive of articles, tech info, etc that's worth the price of dues all by itself. They also offer a surrogate buyer network so you can start "looking" before you arrive in Houston.
Welcome!
Steve

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Welcome to the club.

Houston is just across the street from me. I'm sure you'll find the TR6 you seek. Only yesterday I was visiting a restoration shop north of Austin (a mere 3.5 hour drive from Houston) and they were unloading a TR6 abandoned project. It had a PI system. I'd never seen one before. They have cars in every state. I am also a member of the TTR and the newsletter presently has a TR6 for sale.

This time of year the warm weather is great. I drove the TR6 to a club meeting last Saturday and several were there with tops down. In August, few are able to drive with the top down while the sun is out. You'll find yourself seeking the moon shadow, just to avoid the heat.

And they say, ...if heaven aint in Texas, I don't want to go.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Alistair-

As another Texas Triumph Register member on this board, let me say 'Welcome, y'all'! There are plenty of TR6s that come up over time, in fact I recommend you check out Craigslist as suggested, I frequently see them on there (and one Houston project recently looked interesting). I do recommend that even without a car in hand, please consider joining up with our local club here - plenty of helpful members that can assist in the search for just the right project. Feel free to contact me at any time and I can give you better club contacts or help with TR stuff in general.

Randy

Minesweeper

roofman

Jedi Knight