• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Final painting detail questions

jjs64bj8

About ready to apply paint to our 64 BJ8. But have a couple of detail questions.

1. Were all the inside surfaces painted? Certainly the rear fenders, doors, parts of the front fenders, boot and bonnets were painted the outside surface color. Were the surface areas inside of the front and rear shrouds painted? How about the front fender areas that are also not visible?

2. How about the fender bolts and associated clip nuts? Were they painted body color.

Maybe the answer is how the completed cars were painted at the factory. I believe I read that the cars were painted as one piece without the drive train and interior, basically a shell. If that was the case then I can see that all the areas accessible were sprayed. So only those areas of the front and read shrouds, front fenders, etc got painted. In other words only areas that saw direct spray of paint got the color. Please validate/correct me here.

Thanks in advance for helping.

jjs64bj8

OP
J

jjs64bj8

For more information, all the body pieces will be painted OFF the car. So we can paint any surface we want.

jjs64bj8

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
How about you ask yourself .....What do you want to do with the car ...make it a concourse show piece trailer queen or do you want the car to last and be better than when it was built originally ?
I don't do concourse . I would rather do better than original and build it to drive and last .

Country flag
Bodies were painted assembled. so the only surfaces that caught paint were in a direct line of sight with the gun's nozzle__everything else, was left bare so it could rust faster.

I painted the fenders inside and out, and ditto the shrouds; electrolysis should never be a problem on BN6L 942 (catalyzed epoxy-chrommate primers, catalyzed poly-urethane paint, and catalyzed clear-coat__those flanges are SEALED).

Bolt-heads and washers would've been painted originally, but again, what do you intend to do with the car?
(do the judges really deduct points if the inside of the fenders don't have surface rust; are they getting a kick-back from commercial restorers, banking on future business...?)

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
.... I believe I read that the cars were painted as one piece without the drive train and interior, basically a shell. If that was the case then I can see that all the areas accessible were sprayed. So only those areas of the front and read shrouds, front fenders, etc got painted. In other words only areas that saw direct spray of paint got the color. Please validate/correct me here.

Thanks in advance for helping.

jjs64bj8

That's my understanding also.

For more information, all the body pieces will be painted OFF the car. So we can paint any surface we want.

If you're looking to be original, leave them on and only primer the unseen areas. If you want it to last, paint the unseen areas body color.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
This whole concur ....it has to be correct just P&&##!! me off . Im sorry . The way the cars were built was crap . Build it shoot it half ass with some paint in whatever color is somewhere close to the color code and get it the %$#! out of here to the showroom to sell it ......kinda sounds like most modern cars lol .
All I care about is when you stand next to my cars is ... Yes its a Healey ...does it look good? ... %&@# yes . Is it shiny ?...sure is, does it look good? you betcha . Is is it built better and way beyond the quality of the original ...you bet your sorry ass it is ..
Who cares if the screws holding the firewall components on are stainless . who cares if the rivets are not dimensionally correct for the shroud , who cares if the paint is a half shade off the so called factory color chip..
Build it ... drive it like you stole it ......and with a smile a yard wide and see all the head turning as you drive down the road . ENJOY !!!!!!!

mk31755

Country flag
To some people originality is important. Everyone has the right to restore their car to whatever level they choose. You are only obligated to restore your car to your satisfaction and for your enjoyment. To those that choose to restore their car as closely as possible to original there are guidelines and standards. That does not mean that every car came out just like the standards, from the factory. But, in the name of consistency those are the standards that your car will be judged by. If you can prove unequivocally that your car had a nuance different from the standard then the judges will consider it. No one is required to restore a car to original standards. One of the things that makes old cars so much fun is that each of us can use our own touches to finish a car to our own expectations. Good Luck. Concours is not for the thin skinned or weak of heart. I've been there!

OP
J

jjs64bj8

Believe me our car will NOT be concurs, far from it. I do not have the expertise and resources to get anywhere near a 100 point restoration. I was just curious as to how they left the factory but will, as I can and budget permitting, at least to try to keep it somewhat pedigree.

That said, we will paint all the inside surfaces and will paint the bolts and clip nuts body color but like the body pieces, off the car. I do like the comments that by paining all the surfaces there will be future protection. I am at the age that I will not probably own this car long and whoever ends up with it down the road will not in 23-30 years have to deal with all the issues we did!

Thanks

jjs64bj8

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The factory certainly did not paint all surfaces with maximum protection in mind. Cars were not built to last; by the time they were ten years old, their value dropped to a few hundred dollars and most original owners had long ago moved on. I would like to know how much paint they actually used to paint these Healeys. Not much, is my guess based on what I have seen in the examples that I have become familiar with.

Specifically regarding the underside of the front shroud, I recently worked on rebuilding two shrouds, one for a '57 and one for a '63. Neither showed any sign of previous work such as sanding or grinding in that area. Both were quite thoroughly painted black, particularly on the part in front of the firewall. These cars were not black originally, but the undersides of the shrouds were black. The paint was miserable stuff to remove, as it seemed baked onto/into the shroud. Maybe years of engine heat bonded it to the aluminum. Did someone add that paint after the car left the factory? Your guess may be better than mine.

Country flag
Sarasota, where are you at? either you can come up and see my car, or I can come down to see yours. I'm outside of Parrish, just minutes from the Ellenton Outlet Mall.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
This whole concur ....it has to be correct just P&&##!! me off . Im sorry .

Glad for that: Cuz them some hard workin folks-:friendly_wink:

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
They're only original once. If it has been restored.....it isn't original. It might be a replica of originality but even a very accurate replication is very rare. If your not going to have it judged, build it anyway you want. Here's a story that is kind of relative to the question of originality. I'll try to make it short and it gets credit from the book, "The Stewardship of Historically Important Automobiles" By Fred Simeone, ETC. I will paraphrase the point. I'll call it the Conundrum of Originality. About the time of 75 A.D. A Greek Galleon left Athens to explore the Seas. During it's voyage the ship needed repairs. Over the coarse of years every timber and every piece of the ship needed repaired or replaced even including the mast, and down to all the keel and spars. When they returned to Athens years later, they were greeted with enthusiasm and honors. At the celebration the captain was asked, is that the same Galley that you left with many years earlier. The captain replied that it was. Then was asked, did you have to make many repairs. He said, 'Oh yes', as things rotted or gave out we replaced them and fixed them. How much of the ship had to be repaired? He said, 'All of it'.
Hmmm, is that the same Galleon that originally set sail from Athens?

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I just drove over 1,200 miles (and back) to the Australian Austin-Healey Clubs' National Rally at Lorne on the Great Ocean Road. When we arrived we were complimented on how my 100 looked. That made me feel great and was all the judging I needed. Nobody started going over my car to check details (although my car is pretty authentic). The Victorian folk were just glad to see us. I agree with mk31755, restore you car to the level that you are content with, then drive it!

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Vette, in Australia we talk about 'Grandfather's axe' New handle & new head but it's still the same axe!

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
'Grandfather's axe' New handle & new head but it's still the same axe![/QUOTE said: