• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

**Final Interior Combo Choice**

David_K

Jedi Hopeful
Exterior = BRG with White coves

My father and I have basically decided on Grey vinyl seats with BRG piping, along with BRG wool carpet from Hertiage Trim. Interior panels will be grey.

Suggestions for a top color? Grey or BRG Vinyl? Order has to be in by Friday or Saturday.

Any other color combo suggestions? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I think you'd be unhappy with a BRG-colored top. In my opinion it would look peculiar, and would likely clash with the paint.

A gray top would give you a three-tone look with the BRG and Ivory paint. Again, peculiar.

I wouldn't rule out black for the top, or going with BRG paint (no contrasting color in the "coves") and then a gray top would look smashing.

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'm with Reid. You've got a lot of colors going on already. If you are set on with white coves, then your best choice would be a black top so that it doesn't clash. But the brg top would look wrong no matter what.

Country flag
I've thought about exactly these choices for a long while.

I'll paint my car BRG and have the grey interior with dark green carpets. The tonneau and top would be grey too, if I can find these without suffering too great a cost.

I've seen both BRG and a BRG/White with grey interiors (and a BRG with black interior), and I think the single color works best with the grey and it is a very handsome combination.

IMO the two-tone color scheme would work best with a dark top- either the original black or as you seem to suggest, a dark green to better match the paint; and I presume a tonneau and top cover in the same material.

BRG with grey tonneau closest to camera.

BRG/White with black top/tonneau?

These were more for the scenery than the cars, but if you like I could dig around and maybe find some more photos to send you....

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
An architects opinion: (I know it’s not a building, but color is color and design rules apply.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

No matter how hard you try, the BRG top will never match the car paint color, it will always look, as Reid says, peculiar. Black would be the choice for the top. The interior you describe is going to look really busy, if you’re set on the interior, I’d suggest you consider a solid color car.

Alternatively, if you like the BRG over white coves, limit the interior to one or two colors, say gray seats and gray, or black carpet.

This opinion is free, and you get what you pay for! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif Just my 2 cents.

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
David

You got the architect's opinion, now here's an industrial designer's viewpoint. I strongly suggest the black top. Between your paint scheme and your trim selections, you have a lot of colors going on...too many actually. The black top will provide a neutral compliment that will help tie it all together...at least when the top is up. One of the really great things about an Austin Healey is that it's a natural beauty, and like all natural beauties she needs very little in the way of makeup, jewelry, or fancy dress! Take a look at some of the works in progress in the gallery...even a bare body shell wearing nothing but primer gets your blood going!

Good luck

OP
David_K

David_K

Jedi Hopeful
We have tossed around the idea of painting the coves to BRG.

You have caught my attention that 3 colors is too much. I think we might be back to the drawling board if we can't decide to go one solid color on the body.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
We have tossed around the idea of painting the coves to BRG.

You have caught my attention that 3 colors is too much. I think we might be back to the drawling board if we can't decide to go one solid color on the body.

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif
Yep, keep going the way you headed and it will look like a Tijuana Taxi.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
David_K

David_K

Jedi Hopeful
Well I've had a disscusion with my father and the results are:

Paint the coves white and go with Grey seats with BRG piping, dark green wool carpet, and a grey top.

Leave the paint alone and go with an all black interior with Black or BRG piping, with a black top.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well David, YOU gettin closer now, better have another good discussion and it just might get to be spot on!--Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
David_K

David_K

Jedi Hopeful
Oops! I was ahead of myself and ment paint the coves BRG!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Oops! I was ahead of myself and ment paint the coves BRG!

[/ QUOTE ]

Just paint the whole body BRG and the coves will come out alright too.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
David_K

David_K

Jedi Hopeful
Well the body is already painted BRG/White!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Well the body is already painted BRG/White!

[/ QUOTE ]
--- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif
Well David, in that case,all you have to do is sand down the white and spray BRG.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OH! I missed the PICCY, it looks great let it alone and tone down the interior that is if you like it the way it is.--Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif
--- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif
Guess what, I just noticed the bumper iron grommets are on wrong. the small end goes up.They should say LH & RH inside take a look.---Keoke

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I can't see the picture, but if you want to keep the white coves, I agree, tone down the interior, at least no piping...DAR

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Have you tossed around BRG/OEW coves with Tan seats, like Herritage shows as one of there interior photos. Maybe tan or green carpet? BRG, OEW and tan may flow together.

I also agree, not to introduce too many colors. Especially if they are close in color. Like green top and green car. Green carpet and green car may work because they don't meet.

Also piping may make things busy. Too many colors? Car, cove, top, carpet, seat, piping.

Taxi anyone? Keoke your funny.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

ASUMHLY, will you please go paint those tank straps and stay out of grown folks business.--Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif