• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Final Check Items Restoration nearing completion

DornTRoriginal

Jedi Hopeful
Gold
Country flag
I have completed the rebuilding of everything, front to back (not sure how well I have done it though) and I am ready to send the chassis back to the body shop to place the body back on the frame. Any suggestions on what I need to check, recheck and triple check before I put it on the trailer? I decided not to try to start the engine figuring I will have to deal with any of those issues later on? Also, suggestions on paints, finishes it's gonna be red, the original color but not signal red. Thanks!:congratulatory:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm certainly no expert, but wouldn't it make more sense to paint first and then marry body to frame?

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I agree that the body should be painted before mounting on the chassis. This way the fender wells and the bottom etc can be painted also.

I painted my car in my garage and used acrylic enamel. I believe that enamel was used on most of the TRs. I also didn't use a clear coat, as I feel that clear coating a TR3 makes the paint look too out of place for the car.

IMG_C809.jpg

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Dorn
yes you should paint the tub before it is set on the frame. It will be almost impossible to paint the engine bay later, unless you pull the motor. If you need a hand please call me, I would like to see your progress.

OP
DornTRoriginal

DornTRoriginal

Jedi Hopeful
Gold
Country flag
Sorry, my bad I should have explained it better. The body will be painted before it is reattached. The body work has been completed but it has not been painted yet. That's being done by a body shop located a little ways away from me. The strategy I followed was to remove the body and bead blast and strip the body, primer was applied to the entire tub, reattach the body to the frame, complete the body work w/ body sitting on the frame, then take the body off the frame and complete the restoration of the engine, suspension drive train, rear end etc. Now we are going to finish panting the tub so I am just thinking about all the little details that need to be checked now that would be difficult to get to once the body has been painted and then reattached to the frame. Here's some pics of the process.
Chassis end view Aug 1 2012 Lg email.jpg

Frame Restortion Front  complete Lg email.JPG

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Dorn
You look pretty good on the frame and engine assembly. Be carefull setting the body on the frame IT IS TIGHT!! I want at least 4 hands and a spotter when we set the 250 body down.

PeterK

Yoda
I don't think you can lower the body with the carbs in place, at least not easily. I would pull them, block of the intake with sealing tape before taking it to the body shop.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Yep, carbs need to come off- I pulled them off with the intake because it was easy to do - but left the exhaust manifold in place. It is a pretty tight fit but doable.

PKPoole

Country flag
I usually paint the undersides of the tub (and other body parts as well) as well as the engine compartment and mount the tub to the frame. This allows me to install the steering, radiator and hydraulics making it possible to drive the car and check out everything before I begin the final body assembly. If something needs 'correcting', it is much easier and I don't inflict any scarring on the new paint. I just finished the body assembly this summer and I'm now just short an interior to be finished. Black on black. Good luck. Pat

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Double check all the suspension components are tight. Mounting the body is a "next step" - you will find it closer to the half way point than the finish line. Yes, carbs off.

You may enjoy the thread below of my build, as well as some other sub assembly install postings I've done - I mounted the body about 18 months ago - not that it takes that long, it's just the pace I'm working at given the time and other obligations I have. But there are numerous little things that can seem puzzling as you go along (fresh air vent, windshield etc). Be sure to follow the instructions for the rubber pads and check the door gaps before tightening the tub down for the final time. Oh, one other thing - you will likely scratch the tub somewhere - don't worry about it - get a rattle can to match the paint and fix as needed. Good luck...

ttp://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?63319-593A-Ground-Up-we-will-now-join-in-progress