• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

filters inside of BJ air cleaner?

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
What type and where can the filter be purchased that goes in the BJ air cleaner?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
????

If the filter material inside the stock filter is missing it would be best to replace the entire filter unit.--Fwiw--Keoke

OP
H

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
What I am asking is if there is a filter material that is replaceable?

air%252520cleaner1.jpg

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The proprietary air filters do not need the filter material replacing. - They are a welded shut unit and it would be difficult to open them and retain their original finish.

If you are absolutely desparate, and heck bent on changing the filter media, ( I can't think why ) then I suppose you could resort to using metal pan scrubbers - but I would not recommend it.

These filters should be washed out in paraffin if they are clogged up.

:cheers:

Bob

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
Note to Americans; the British folk call what we know as kerosene, parraffin. Bob is referring to kerosene.

richberman

Jedi Warrior
elrey said:
Note to Americans; the British folk call what we know as kerosene, parraffin. Bob is referring to kerosene.

elrey,
Thanks for that translation. I was wondering how the wax candle kit I have could be used for cleaning my air filters. :wink:
rich

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Actually, if you are a member of the Austin Healey Club of America and get Healey Marque magazine, you will see that there was an article in last month's edition about how a person with a ton of time on his or her hands can open up some of the BJ filter housings and replace the factory mesh with filter material from K & N. It is not for the feint hearted as it requires welding, grinding and other sorts of metal work.

OP
H

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
Ok got it. I have to say that I have not seen an air cleaner without a replaceable element before. It would seem to make sense that they would need to be cleaned regularly or they aren't filtering much.

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Healey Z, if you think about some of the modern performance filters like K&N, it really isn't a bad idea. The K&N filters are also lifetime filters that require cleaning and oiling periodically.

BobFrisby

I agree that K&Ns are a good modern alternative, but opinions on them are so heated that such discussions have been banned from the e-type forum! You'll note that the ads talk about airflow, not filtration effectiveness. Paper filters do filter a little better, but only at very fine (micron-scale) particle sizes.

The originals are not remotely as effective, but you probably won't be doing much harm by keeping them if you want. This is assumes that the car will only get limited driving, and in favorable conditions. Just clean them in any mild solvent, let them dry, and re-oil with filter oil (K&N has some --). Filter oil is extra-sticky.

The old standard air cleaners (pre '60s) were the oil bath type, which did not have a replaceable element.

Country flag
When I purchased my Healey 10 years ago, the factory filters were covered with a thin foam sheet backed with a white cloth material. They were held onto each filter with a large band like the hose clamps. I drove a year with them on and then checked them by holding them to the light. There was little, if any, dust and dirt. (They were hand washable). I was told on this forum that it probably inhibited the air flow. I have not noticed any difference when the were removed. I do feel better knowing that there wasn't that much junk sucked into the carbs.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
If the filter is dirty:
You can clean it up like new by soaking it in parts dip and then flush it out with water.Mask ff the top scree and repaint it in a color of your choice.

If you desire to replace what you have shown then any of the parts houses listed on this forum can sell you one.

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I did not mean to recommend K&N as a substitute for the stock system. I was only pointing out that the idea of a lifetime washable filter is not a bad idea nad is used in modern performance filters like K&N.

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
:crazyeyes:

<span style="color: #FF0000">Note to Americans; the British folk call what we know as kerosene, parraffin. Bob is referring to kerosene.
</span>

Gosh, thanks for clearing that up Elrey.

On another note, I have put my stock filters aside and I am using air rams - trumpets or venturis - what ever you guys over there call them. They are equiped with a mesh over the tops that keep the rocks out, anything else that passes gets vapourised - I hope.

Available from Burlen

:cheers:

Bob

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
In tried that TH< and my Healey got sick to death.
OH while I'm here watch out for the brown bears--Keoke-- :laugh:

Country flag
We have black bears. They only look brown. There have been 7 bear break-ins on out block in the last two months. We have been lucky. Must be all the oil spots in the drive way that the don't like (or my wife's cooking).
When you are in a Healey, you are below their chin level. We have had several encounter while driving. They aren't interested in us. Not even a "nice car" or paws up.

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
Note to British folk; We call them velocity stacks or air horns. :wink:

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
They aren't interested in us. Not even a "nice car"

wELL THE NEWS SAYS THEY JUST STOLE ONE DROVE IT OFF AND TRASHED IT INSIDE TRYING TO GET OUT.--KEOKE-- :lol:

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Keoke said:
They aren't interested in us. Not even a "nice car"

wELL THE NEWS SAYS THEY JUST STOLE ONE DROVE IT OFF AND TRASHED IT INSIDE TRYING TO GET OUT.--KEOKE-- :lol:

No, the bear stole a Prius. :devilgrin: