• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fibre washer on O/D drain plug doesn't fit well

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey all,
I ordered a new fibre washer for the overdrive drain plug from Moss and the fit leaves a lot to be desired. Because it has to fit over the threads to get past the threads, the ID is too large once it seats against the base of the plug so a wobbly fit. Getting fluid loss - OMG, on a Healey - but would like to eliminate at least one oil leak. Has anyone tried one of the oil and gas resistant gasket products in this application ? When I rebuilt part of the OD unit used a permatex product that sealed up the side plate where the accumulator spring goes and never had any issue with leaks. Thinking this same type of product might work on the drain plug. Thoughts or suggestions ???
Thanks
Mike

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well Mike:
Notin will beat a trial but a failure give er a GO!!!---:highly_amused:

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hey all,
I ordered a new fibre washer for the overdrive drain plug from Moss and the fit leaves a lot to be desired. Because it has to fit over the threads to get past the threads, the ID is too large once it seats against the base of the plug so a wobbly fit. Getting fluid loss - OMG, on a Healey - but would like to eliminate at least one oil leak. Has anyone tried one of the oil and gas resistant gasket products in this application ? When I rebuilt part of the OD unit used a permatex product that sealed up the side plate where the accumulator spring goes and never had any issue with leaks. Thinking this same type of product might work on the drain plug. Thoughts or suggestions ???
Thanks
Mike

Skinny, large ID O-ring from Harbor Freight as spacer or piece of copper wire between the washer and smooth shank of the drain plug.

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Mike, if your talking about the washer on the large brass drain plug that holds the OD screen filter, I had the same issue with leaks. I used hypomar (I think that's what it's called) and it did the trick. I would think any oil resistant gasket product will work.

bluegrass john

Country flag
Rob, Glad you found a solution! I was wondering if you used the hylomar with the fibre gasket or just used it by itself as a gasket maker? Thanks,

John

Country flag
I've tried: dry fibre washer, fibre washer with Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket (my favorite gasket dressing), teflon thread sealant on the threads and, all of the above. Still get leaking; however, I use Relline MT90 in the gearbox and I don't think anything can keep that stuff where it belongs. A perfectly sized O-ring might do the trick, if you find one let us know por favor.

OP
bighealeysource

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks y'all ! Going to try the permatex gasket solution but will stop by HF and pick up some O rings and maybe try that if the permatex still leaks. I use 40 wt non detergent so not slick as MT90 !