• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fastener quality

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Can anybody tell me what's wrong with using the original hardware on some of these applications?? I don't use alot of original hardware, because cost wise, it's easier to just replace rather then clean. But I'm talking non-critcal stuff. But if the critical hardware is in good shape, what's wrong with cleaning and re-using?? I do it all the time. Am I missing something here??

Twosheds

Darth Vader
DougF said:
Yes, the gold is just the plating.

I know it's the plating. I'm asking what is the plating material?

I know anodizing can be done in any color.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Art, Nothing wrong as I am sure you are knowledgeable to know,except on important stress points. With hardware fairly cheap why not. Personally I prefer SS and use it anywhere I can.

R

RonMacPherson

For cosmetic purposes only, I hope.

Don't forget stainless can become embrittled and "snaps" a lot easier than bolts that aren't stainless. I think I would rather have a bolt that stretches a bit, rather than one that breaks on me.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Of course ,the locally bought stuff is only on non stressed stuff. Now if you want hi strength SS,check out Spruce

D

DougF

For years I felt there was no problem with reusing hardware. I still believe there is no problem in less critical areas. What turned my thinking around was watching a Skidmore-Wilhelm Torq Tension Test, and seeing how much torque was lost after an initial torquing. Lesser quality fasteners can lose 40% or more while the better ones lost around 15%. The numbers grow worse after each use.

But we as consumers are seldom, if ever, encouraged to replace our wheel studs when purchasing new tires. Especially in a day when many tire shops are running pneumatic tools with the air cranked up. It's scary to think what little actual torque could be holding wheels on to some cars.

The stretching of the threads is the cause of lost torque. So if you reuse head studs a few times, for example, what your torque wrench is telling you is 100 ft. lbs. could actually be only 75-80, maybe less.

We have all reused head studs. Who could afford to replace them every time the head came off? Especially when some engines need decoked every 20,000 miles.

But it's a good thing to know that a used fastener does not show it's wear. Use caution if reusing it.

As for stainless steel, many people believe is very stron because it is so difficult to drill and cut. It is, in fact, relatively soft and stretchable. Yes, there are harder grades, but personally, I would never use ss in any critical areas.

G

Speaking of tire shops and air tools, the last time I had new tires put on my Tahoe, the tire dealer let the gorilla use the impact wrench to tighten the lugs on the wheels. They are so proud of what they refer to as "torque sticks". Months later, while attempting to rotate my tires in my driveway, even my heavy-duty impact wrench couldn't remove 5 of the front lug nuts. Had to use a 4' cheater bar and <span style="font-weight: bold">snapped </span>those five bolts right off. Forced to buy and install both front wheel discs.

An interesting side note to this adventure, a local auto parts store sold me 2 discs marked in small letters, "Wagner." Upon close inspection, they were the worst quality parts I have ever seen, made in China. Brought them back and insisted on the "good" Wagners. She reordered and the real-deal came in, OE quality with the name "Wagner" printed on the box professionally. She told me that the Chevy dealer never orders these good discs. Too expensive. Amazing.