• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Failure of new door-check strap on an early 1961 TR4

Gerald_Gordon

Silver
Country flag
The second time I opened the driver's door of my 1961 TR4 (CT 281 L) following the replacement of the door-check straps in connection with a respray (the body shop thought that the old ones might allow the door to bump the edge of the wing), the wide end of the elastomeric part of the strap pulled out of the mechanism in the A pillar, and closing the door broke the metal skeleton of the strap. Is there a different strap, perhaps for TR4A, 250, or 6, that would both fit the A pillar of my early TR4 and also be more resistant to this kind of failure? (I am describing the strap from memory, as the failure occurred in April and I have been away from the car since then.)

Vila

Jedi Hopeful
I have heard the later door-checks won't fit on the earlier TR4s, but I have never tried them.

My 1962 TR4 (CT7771L) with the earlier door-checks only had 42,xxx original miles on it when I got it seven years ago. The original checks had been over extended and the doors had dents from hitting the fenders. When I restored the car I got new units, but they are the original early style also.

I read an article a while back about inserting a bolt through the hole in the forward end of the checks to stop them from pulling through, but never tried that since my restoration was far enough along by that point and I could not get to them without taking things apart. As I recall there is a vertical hole in the forward part of the check that will allow you to insert a 3/16 bolt that is long enough to catch before the check pulls through, but short enough to fit inside the forward mount that bolts to the pillar.

Like I said, I have never tried it but it could be worth a try.

Mink

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I read an article a while back about inserting a bolt through the hole in the forward end of the checks to stop them from pulling through, but never tried that since my restoration was far enough along by that point and I could not get to them without taking things apart. As I recall there is a vertical hole in the forward part of the check that will allow you to insert a 3/16 bolt that is long enough to catch before the check pulls through, but short enough to fit inside the forward mount that bolts to the pillar.

Like I said, I have never tried it but it could be worth a try.

My straps (CT9796L) were modified like that. I left it that way because it really seems to work well.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The check straps have two functions. The main function is to stop the door from opening to far and the second one is to hold the door open at one or more positions. I like you other folks have had failure of the door check strap but in the second function only. I have tried to configure a different remedy but have to admit that it barely works. But I have not had the problem with the check strap totally failing to hold the door. The failures on mine are from the gel type material that is supposed to "hold" the door open deteriorating. If anybody has figured out a remedy for this check strap I would like to see it.
And NO the later TR4/4A straps do not fit. Interestingly the later straps are very similar to the TR3 ones and then used on through the TR6 as well. So their "better idea" on the early TR4 was dropped after a few years. And the remanufacture of the part has not found a material to use to replace the gel type stuff. I am sure with all of our new materials out there a good substitute could be found.
Charley

OP
Gerald_Gordon

Gerald_Gordon

Silver
Country flag
Thank you all for your comments. I will replace the destroyed strap and install the recommended bolts in both straps.

I am wondering, though, how much disassembly would be required. (The car is in another state and not presently available for inspection.) Must either the wings or the interior upholstered panels be removed, or only the check-strap bracket attached to the A pillar?

Vila

Jedi Hopeful
You cannot get to them with the fenders off, the interior footwell side panels need to be removed.

Since you will be removing the door-checks I would put something like a wooden chair with a blanket over the back by the door to keep it from opening to far after detaching the check from the door, otherwise you could damage your doors.

OP
Gerald_Gordon

Gerald_Gordon

Silver
Country flag
Vila,

Thank you for your advice about gaining access to the front ends of the straps from within the footwells. I will ask my mechanic, who has the car in a state halfway across the country, to do what you describe.