• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fabulous Sprite Photos,er, actually very nice ones

Team_Sprite

Jedi Trainee
Fabulous bugeye photos, sort of.

We bolted the car together for a series of photographs requested for the January auction. It looks spectacular, if I may say so myself, have a look. It’s on the “Car” page of www.teamsprite.com, It’s a shame to take it back down to finish it. Once again, we are obliged to Nick Conklin and his son Cory for their help.

Brian & the girls
www.teamsprite.com

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
That's going to break a few hearts when that sells Brian.
It's evolved from a learning tool into a desireable, beautiful car.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I see several incorrect things for a true concourse. The cockpit molding over the dash is not covered with black vinal same as the interior oh wait one pic with and one without. There is somthing between the dash vinal and the metal dash. should only be glue there. Not really sure about the gas tank cap, I thought the edge was supose to be chrome and only the top painted, not sure though. No paint on hub caps either.

However, I love it. May Miss Agatha turn out almost as well and I will be happy. What a fine job you guys have done.

What's next, time to line up your next one.

Brian I need er want to know where the lugage rack came from? Part number and vendor maybe, it is just what I am looking for. A smaller one that fits right. Also note that youall made new jewels for both instruments, thanks to Bob Webb for both the idea and the materials. I think we need to know about this trick, a whole bunch of us.
Thanks.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Brian I am complety smitten by that car -congratulations! Tell me, what is the colour? I was planning on Old English White for mine but that is so pretty especially with the black interior. thanks for all you are doing with "your girls" and for sharing it with us

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
Not meaning to steal Brians thunder, but I saw it was "BMC Cherry Red".
One other notable thing about the paintjob is that it was in the paint shop less than two weeks!

I really want a BE now.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
you could have gone all day without saying that Baz.

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
Well, Drew is progressing with his, Miss Agatha is coming along nicely and ladylike, Spritenut is doing amazing things, and then I see these pics from Brian and what he and his team have accomplished.
As JP said, I'm smitten too.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Been thinking about what that car is worth and what it may get at the auction. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

You know this little red car may just set the new price standard for Bugeyes.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Re: Fabulous Sprite Photos,er, actually very nice

Yep, lets not forget Ben. He also has the makeings of a beautiful Bugeye. It's almost like he has forgotten us here.

What's the status Ben, pics?

BWillis

Jedi Knight

Oh I havent forgotten about you guys. I read the forums every day morning and night. I'm still in about the same spot as I was a month ago. Work and family have taken priority but I should be able to get back into the shop this week.

I had a few GREAT weekends taking my son to Clemson football games even if we didn't win them all!!

Baz

Yoda
Country flag

No offence Ben!
If I can get this BGT flipped by spring, we'll see what's on the market.....

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

Nice work, Brian. You and your team have done an amazing job with that car. You should be proud.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag

Brian, it looks great.

One Jack comment - shouldn't the interior be red as well?

Patrick

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Yes seats and floors should be red as well, black was not offered.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag

Thanks Jack,

I was worried you were getting color blind.

hehehe.

Patrick

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

I did miss that. No lie. It all looked so good that the obvious was not so obvious.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag

Good grief Brian- That car is georgeous!!
When and where will the auction be? (and PLEASE don't tell my wife that I asked!!).
Bill

OP
Team_Sprite

Team_Sprite

Jedi Trainee

Thanks for all the encouragement!
A few answers to your posts/e-mails re the Concours d’Elegance, or lack of, points on the car. What started as an auto-shop class, turned (to my delight) into an auto restoration project within two or three weeks hinged upon, I believe, the discovery of a little patch of red paint under the remains of British Racing Green. Everything stopped and we voted to restore the car as best we could to how it left the line in Oct. of 1958. We had already purchased the black seat kit, and reupholstered the (padded) dash, assuming, because it came to us that way, that it was correct. We chased down a good smoothcase and 948 (came with 1098), and it wasn’t until a thorough look at Horler’s book that we realized this was a bigger endeavor than we thought. We simply decided to make a few compromises, as we knew we couldn’t get everything perfect. The seats stayed black, the welded (vs. riveted) rims stayed (we also had wires) the dash just looked too good and they had worked too hard on getting it to look that way, the sliding screen side windows were a month later than the car, we couldn’t find period rubber mats so we went with carpet, etc. There are a few more things, but we did chase down a lot of esoteric parts that were right for our car. The sleuth work has been a great deal of fun for all of us, learning lead work, upholstery, and chasing date codes, water spigot type heater valve handles, and glitter covered knobless door handles has been more exciting than diagnosing wrist pin slap.

They did take apart and put back together a motor & rear end, they took apart but didn’t put back together a transmission, did a rudimentary pass over carburetors, generators & starters, but the fun has been the chase. This is too long, sorry.

Brian by himself

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

Never too long, Brian. We all love to hear about this project, and the finished car is a stunner. No worries about the little differences. We've all got too much time on our hands here, and way too much knowledge about how these little cars were originally built (yes, I've read Horler's book a few times /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

I'm glad that you and your students had such a good time working on the car. Even if they never to any auto work again, they will always be able to be proud of what they did.

Are you planning a little signed plate to go on the car somewhere (engine bay?). Might be a nice touch...