• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General TR Exchange rate with the pound

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Just wanted to point out to everyone that the dollar is the strongest to the pound that it's been in more than 30 years. If you need any British parts, Rimmer Bros etc. Are now MUCH cheaper to order from than the stateside distributors are. So if you need anything, it's very worth pricing from the UK!

I've been looking at a couple big ticket items that have not shown up on EBAY and are highway robbery expensive from the big 3. I'm looking at pulling the trigger ordering from the UK. Seats alone will save me $400!

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Just placed an order with John Skinner for a complete TR4a interior and the shipping was a little high, but more than offset by the reduced cost of the parts. Comparing stateside costs vs across the pond was a no brainier for me.
Rut

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I just priced:

Seat buckets
Seat rails
Seat springs
Seat padding
Seat upholstery set

Shipping was quoted as $88. but the savings on the order is in excess of $1,000.

I am delaying on pulling hte trigger, as the seat buckets appear to be slightly different than original in the bottom corrugating design, and I am concerned about matching the seat to the interior colors. My anal tendancies...but there is no debating the price advantage even with shipping costs at the current rates.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I will be shipping a car next week, fingers crossed.
if you were quoted $88 for carriage, I would have done the deal!

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I just put in an order at Rimmer Bros in the UK. In addition to the $1.20 pound, they have a 17% off sale going on until Jan 15th. Worth checking out if you need anything...I got both my seat springs for less than one spring from the big three, including the shipping.

https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I know about the Pound to Dollar exchange rate. I get some of my pension from the UK and the rate is really hurting me.

Have to look at RimmerBros to see if there is anything I need.

David

Vila

Jedi Hopeful
I have purchased numerous parts from Rimmer Brothers, Green Spark Plugs and other over the years and have also found the saving more then offsets the shipping costs.

For shipping to the US, remember you pay the lower "ex VAT" rate for parts from the UK.

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Recommend you do ask about shipping costs. Sometimes surprising low and fast. For the rear end overhaul, I think I saved about $175 on the ring and pinion purchase by buying from Rimmer and it arrived in a week via DHL. By comparision, the Timken bearings I purchased from TRF took 10 days to arrive.

Pat

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I fear Brexit is slowly bringing the pound back up. It was truly nice while it lasted...and it is still not a bad deal at the moment!?!

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I've recently used several British suppliers including Skinner, Canley Classics, Burlen, Revington and others. The shipping cost (calculated in advance) has always been offset favorably by the exchange savings and for many items, the shipping was little or no higher nor slower than the big 3.
Tom