• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Excessive Brake Dust?

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Any ideas?

Starting this year, the right front brakes on my TR4A appear to be throwing out way more brake dust than it used to. Like 3x more and this wire wheel is always black and in need of a wash.

The pads are about 10 years old with about 7,500 miles on them. I inspected and there is plenty of pad left. Nothing has changed that I am aware of.

Thought?

Bob

D

DougF

You can look into a different type of pad.
Green pads aren't the answer. They are advertised as not being as dirty. My wheels are filthy after a hundred miles. I'm glad Panasports are easy to clean.

Number_6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If it's only on one side check it out you may have a stuck caliper.

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
could also be your rear brakes are not working and your fronts are working overtime. Pads like tires have a life, so they might be toast (chemically speaking).
R

OP
RJS

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks. I'm willing to bet it is a stuck or frozen caliper and will look into that. Any idea if this would be a quick fix on the car or if I would be looking at a remove and rebuild?

If I understand caliper design correctly, isn't the caliper body designed to float and move as the opposing piston applies force?

Bob

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
RJS said:
If I understand caliper design correctly, isn't the caliper body designed to float and move as the opposing piston applies force?
That's how most modern brake calipers work, with a single piston moved by fluid and the caliper body in turn moving as a "reaction" to that (kinda like how most Girling-style rear wheel cylinders work on Triumphs). But "our" calipers have two pistons, one on each side, and the caliper body is fixed.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
RJS said:
Any ideas?

Starting this year, the right front brakes on my TR4A appear to be throwing out way more brake dust than it used to. Like 3x more and this wire wheel is always black and in need of a wash.

The pads are about 10 years old with about 7,500 miles on them. I inspected and there is plenty of pad left. Nothing has changed that I am aware of.

Thought?

Bob

Bob, if the pads are only 10 years old they are made with new generation (non-asbestos) material. From what I have read, the new compounds are softer and wear a lot faster, thus more dust. I recall donkey's years ago, either MG Mitten or AMCO, selling dust shields for wire wheels. Don't know if they are still available.

Number_6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
RJS said:
Thanks. I'm willing to bet it is a stuck or frozen caliper and will look into that. Any idea if this would be a quick fix on the car or if I would be looking at a remove and rebuild?
Bob

If it is a stuck piston in the caliper then it's not a huge job, an afternoon, maybe a weekend, you might need to take the caliper off to un-stick the piston. Also if it is a stuck piston you'll want to do a little diagnoses to see if you can determine why the piston got stuck in the first place. If it's because some moisture has been absorbed in the brake fluid and the piston or sleeve has got some rust on it you'll probably will want to get it re-sleeved.